Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,228   Online: 1060

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Artisan Emulsions - Silver Gelatin in Montana

I am delighted to be teaching silver gelatin emulsion making at the Photographers' Formulary in Montana this June. Week One is learning to make and use a ClBr contact printing paper, along with demonstrations of semi-glossy baryta paper making and silvergum printing. Week Two is dry plate and handcoated film -- everything from making the materials, to camera operation, exposure, and processing.

The courses are designed to be taken separately or together.

The beauty of the Formulary workshops is their intensive, immersive environment. For a full week (or two) participants live the subject -- able to work from first thing in the morning to last thing at night (but I promise to schedule afternoon nap time ). The Formulary is in Montana's Swan Valley. Gorgeous location. The accommodations are first rate and the food alone is worth the trip!

An added perk of PF is that you can purchase on site all the chemicals and much of the equipment you need to get started making emulsions as soon as you get home.

I will make every effort to tailor each participant's workshop experience to fit individual needs and interests. We're going to have a great time!

Denise Ross
    www.workshopsinmt.com
    www.thelightfarm.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

All the good stuff is going on in the U.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd love to do a workshop in Australia. A plane ticket, a nice B&B all lined up, a few students at an educational forum... (Well, a girl can dream )

I think Ron agrees with me about Australia. Maybe you could send for both of us .

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Denise, let's make it a group trip to Oz -- I'll teach carbon printing!

It sounds like a great set-up in Montana. And I know the participants are in for an incredible learning experience. I am sooooo tempted! Early of late June?
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Alright, then. It's settled. Carbon and silver Australia-ho! Plus egg whites, Prussian blue, and we can't forget the various precious metals. Gotta love 'living history' photography!

Seriously, though, dry plate printed on carbon is a natural. I'd love to see what you could do with the combination. June 12-17. Hope to see you there .

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Dang -- those dates are for Week Two (dry plates), I assume. The boys "graduate" from middle school that week (June 16th). I was hoping for a week later -- I'd bring the boys up, leave them at my sister's in Spokane for the week and zip over for the workshop.

I was even thinking of bringing some carbon tissue along and making a couple carbons from the dry plate negs. Well, it was a grand idea, anyway.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Arthril, nothing here takes your fancy: http://www.goldstreetstudios.com.au/...rkshoplist.htm

Plenty of good stuff in Oz.

J.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Vaughn,

You know my philosophy of kids: first, last, always! Middle school graduation -- hard to believe. High school boys, even harder. Congratulations! Find some time this summer to run up Hwy 101 and we'll spend a day or two printing carbon with dry plates and artisan film. After the success I had with the one plate at your workshop, I'm very interested in pushing the possibilities.

J,

Great set of workshops! Thanks for posting the link. Although...handmade silver gelatin paper and dry plate/film are conspicuously lacking...(hint, hint, nudge, nudge )

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Montana is so far from Pittsburgh; how about teaching in Rochester? I can get there no problem.
    Michael
    PS, I'm still dreaming of a long ride on my motorcycle

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You can fly into Butte, Missoula, or even White Fish, MT, or take Amtrak to White Fish (about 50 miles away from the Formulary) if you don't want to drive it.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin