Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,007   Online: 1039

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shrouded Turbine Mixer

Here is the photo that many of you have been waiting for. This is a custom made shrouded turbine mixer such as used by Kodak. It is like Gen I, and I believe that EK is on Gen III now. It is known as a PEPA or Planar Emulsion Precipitation Apparatus.

This unit is about 4" across and is designed for 1L to 10L makes. In a common bucket and very low RPMs, it can decorate a room with water if you are not careful!

How do I know that?

PE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pepa1.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Looks like a paint mixer you can buy at the hardware store. The ones that go in an electric drill.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is what we get here: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100403172&l angId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=100403172&ci_kw={keyword} &cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-22-_-100403172&ci_gpa=pla&locStoreNum=1273

Read the specs at the bottom - "good to 800 RPM. Sorry, that is too slow. We are talking 5000 RPM for the applications I have in mind.

Well, that URL is useless. Sorry and I can't get it to copy right. Just go to Home Depot and search for Wal Board Tools and Paint Mixers.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    PE,

When you get a moment, can you please take a picture of the business end of that mixer?

Thanks,

Bob M.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I take it your mixer is a counter-acting double shrouded turbine mixer, seeing that there are two "disks"?

Here's an interesting presentation:
    http://www.slideshare.net/ileubner/s...ical-engineers
    "Press the little "play" buttons under the slides to see the entire presentation."

PE - for some reason the name Ingo Leubner (the author of the presentation above) sounds familiar to me. Isn't he one of your EK buddies?
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hello Kirk,

This may be helpful:

http://www.crystallizationconsulting.com/

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes gentlemen, Ingo is a good friend of mine and has been for many years. He is one of our lunch regulars and he designs mixers among other things. You will see his name in the credits section of my book along with a few others. And, we do talk and get together regularly. I have a copy of one of his books here as well, which has been a great assist to me in writing. I owe him a big debt of gratitude for everything.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This may be a sign of a lack of focus on my part, but the first time I noticed this thread title I thought it was going to be about the "Shroud of Turin".

I need to read things more closely!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    This may be a sign of a lack of focus on my part, but the first time I noticed this thread title I thought it was going to be about the "Shroud of Turin".

I need to read things more closely!
    You're not alone, Matt.
    At first glance I saw " Shroud of Turin " also ...

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin