Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,316   Online: 887

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: An Experement

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ron,
    couldn't be PVOH hardenable (at least in an alkaline medium) by using boric acid? Or perhaps using glutaraldehyde?
    regarding its mechanical/optical properties, does it differ much from gelatine? were there any attempts for using PVOH in photo emulsions?
    since there are also some PVA variants available functionalized with anionic (and cationic) groups, couldn't be that stuff hardenable by just adding an aluminium salt?
    thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is more common to use Acryl Amide, Poly Vinyl Pyrrolidone or Butvar in emulsions, and none of these nor Poly Vinly Alcohol resemble gelatin in any way. Gelatin has a structure which is imposed by its protein makeup. The amino acids act to peptize gelatin and it can chill set and crosslink. The others can, but under conditions often harmful to the silver halide grains.

The Silanes probably add something to the mix to improve the activity of the vehicle with the AgX crystals. IDK. It also may supply hardening sites. We usually used a site with an active methylene on it so that we could harden.

I've worked extensively with polymers in order to replace gelatin. It is not an easy task. I await Bill's results.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ron, what do you mean with a site with an active methylene-on which polymer? gelatine?
    so PVP could be a "lousy" substitute for gelatin?
    I am also very curious about Bill's results!
    thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gelatin has active cross linking sites that work with formalin or other hardeners. These are amine based. Other active sites which can be placed on polymers are -C=O CH2 C=O (this is hard to draw and explain). In any event, Poly Vinyl Alcohol by itself is difficult to harden and has no sites to peptize Silver Halide grains as they form.

Therefore, something else (Silane?) is helping Bill. I am curious as well.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    It is more common to use Acryl Amide, Poly Vinyl Pyrrolidone or Butvar in emulsions,
    Butt-Head: Whoa, huh huh, he just said "Butvar!"
    Beavis: Yeah, Heh heh heh eh eh eh heh heh heh.

Sorry...
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Silanizing agents attack compounds that contain hydroxyl groups by displacing the alkoxy groups on the silanizing agent and forming a covalent -Si-O-Si- bond.

It seems to me reacting a silanizing agent with Polyvinyl Alcohol will just add the silane to the alcohol groups - it will add mass to the PVOH chain, but not crosslink anything.

Also, to those reading that don't have experience with silanizing agents, they are kind of nasty compounds. You need to take real care when handling them. They are toxic through contact with skin and corrosive - that is they react with your skin as well.
    Last edited by Kirk Keyes; 06-23-2011 at 12:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Kirk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kirk, actually we don't know how the PVA (in this case) is derivatized, crosslinked or not. The Kuraray site states that it has silanol groups. therefore, these are probably more or less Si-OH groups which can interact with glass surface by hydrogen bonding SiOH......HOSi and of course within the polymer itself
    I have first-hand experience with silylating (mostly trimethylsilylating to be precise) agents, since we use them in our lab for GC work. They are really useful stuff (greatly extend the volatility range of coumpounds), but yes, they are really nasty to work with.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by T-grain View Post
    Kirk, actually we don't know how the PVA (in this case) is derivatized, crosslinked or not. The Kuraray site states that it has silanol groups. therefore, these are probably more or less Si-OH groups which can interact with glass surface by hydrogen bonding SiOH......HOSi and of course within the polymer itself
    I have first-hand experience with silylating (mostly trimethylsilylating to be precise) agents, since we use them in our lab for GC work. They are really useful stuff (greatly extend the volatility range of coumpounds), but yes, they are really nasty to work with.
    It's been made probably along these Kuraray's patents: US 4617239 and US 4567221.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by T-grain View Post
    I have first-hand experience with silylating (mostly trimethylsilylating to be precise) agents, since we use them in our lab for GC work.
    Same here.

What GC stuff do you do? I run air for volatiles with GC/MS (TO-15) and various drinking water and waz waste methods for water and soil with ECD or FID detectors.
    Kirk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    Same here.

What GC stuff do you do? I run air for volatiles with GC/MS (TO-15) and various drinking water and waz waste methods for water and soil with ECD or FID detectors.
    As for silylation, we do mostly aminoacids and other similar stuff (cannot disclose everything, sorry ). Otherwise, we do mostly food and pharma analyses, a wide array.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin