Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,586   Online: 1132

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: An Experement

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    T-grain,
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Everyone,
    Last night, I poured 11 plates. They are not dry yet ( humid here). But I did run a fogging test,on glass, yesterday. That looks good. Hopefuly, I will take some shots tomorow and post them here.
    Bill

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Dental Organo-Silane

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyg View Post
    All this is way above me. I am a dentist and use silane as a coupling agent to coat porcelain restorations prior to bonding them to teeth with resin cements to enhance the bond. Using it with the emulsion to coat glass plates is probably works in a similar fashion. As a dental product silane is over $50 for 12ml.

Just thought this may be of interest.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/
    I have seen these kits on ebay. Do you hapen to know, what is the functionality of the organic site?
    Bill

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Results

Hello to all, Everyone is gonna laugh at me because the scans of my plates are so uglt. But the plates themselves look much better. To coat the plates I used a 250 micron wire coating rod. This produced a wet coating 10mils thick. That is too much. I'll be getting a new rod that will lay down 7-8 mils. But it ain't here yet. Most of the obvious flaws, gaps in coating etc., are do to my clumsiness with wet plates and an IR monocle. Makes everything look thurther away than it is.. I have attached two negatives and the formula wth procedure. The actual plates, either just dryed or processed, are very glossy and hard. They remind me of obsidien. The are difficult to scratch and impossible to gough I am gonna make a new batch, just like this one, and use Denise Ross's coating well and a coating rod to try to get a wet thickness of about 7 mills.
    Note that I wash the dried plates, not the emulsion,as PVA will not set up at cold temperatures, like gelaten (think: murdered cow,mother of baby calves
    Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6-27- 1 copy.jpg   6-25 -27-2.jpg  
    Attached Files

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I forgot to mention that this is a fast emulsion, I grossly over-exposed several plates, befor I arived at f22 for 1 second, in bright miday sunlight..
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbillbugman View Post
    I forgot to mention that this is a fast emulsion, I grossly over-exposed several plates, befor I arived at f22 for 1 second, in bright miday sunlight..
    Bill
    Well, that brings hand held shooting in the picture, 1/128th of a second at F2

The coatings are messy, but they look promising. Well, what do I have to tell, with zero experience coating plates...

Anyway, I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty to "turn your negatives into positives" (with a thanks to MurrayMinchin here on APUG for making me see this differently, see the APUG "Quote" thread), as I was curious to see a bit better what was there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6-25 -27-2_inverted.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	36323Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6-27- 1 copy_inverted.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	36324
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bill, there is nothing to laugh about your results. They really look promising!
    As for the PVA, once dried-hardened, and when you soak the plates in the chemistry for processing, do they swell considerably (visibly)?
    How long does it take to dry the plates once processed (I know there are many factors)?
    thanks for sharing!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    T-grain,
    Here is a big difference between this emulsion and every gelatin emulsion that I have worked with. The PVA emulsion stays hard through all cold-water processes. I had no problem when I washed the dry panels in cold water for 3 hours. The one exception is at some corners and edges, where the film was so thick that it had not dried fully. I have always been a putz with a coating rod, even in daylight. Under IR I am worse. But flat dry areas do not buge.
    After I removed the plates from the final rinse, I left them alone for 2 hours. But I think that an evenly coated plate would be dry in less than an hour.
    Bill

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Macro B,
    Certainly, the positives look worse than the negatives. But I ain't done yet!
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbillbugman View Post
    Macro B,
    Certainly, the positives look worse than the negatives. But I ain't done yet!
    Bill
    Good to hear, keep us updated!
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Another Batch of Experimental Emulsion

Hello to All,
    I have evaluated another batch of emulsion based on Kuraray R 1130 instead of gelatin
    The two changes in the emulsion were: A reduced polymer leval. This batch of R 1130 is 14% instead of 23% in the last emulsion. B) NH4I instead of KI
    All glass plates were coted with emulsion using a modified glass frame and a #40 wire coating rod;Wet thickness 8 mils; Dryed 24 hours; washed for 3 hours;dryed overnight
    I have a dewetting problen. As of now the emulsion contains no surfactant or alcohol. Tonight, I will coat more plates with this emulsion + surfactant. I am convinced that this is a dewetting issue and not an issue of frilling or lifting of emulsion.
    Pre- soak- 10 minutes
    D-19- 9 minutes
    Stop-Dillute acetic acid
    Fix - 10% Sodium Thiosulfate, 10 minutes
    Note that there are red flowers arouned 10:30 o'clock.
    Final rinse-1 houer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled-4 copy.jpg   Untitled-4.jpg   Untitled-5 copy.jpg   Untitled-5.jpg  

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin