Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,536   Posts: 1,572,735   Online: 778

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: An Experement

Shooter
    8x10 Format

An Experement

Hello To All
    Several weeks ago I began evaluating a commercialy availible Silane Treated PVOH in substitution for my Homade Silane treated PVOH (That I have been substituting for gelatin in silver halide emulsions) Results are the best I have ever had, not only for silver-halide emulsions but as a carrier for Pt/Pd/Au/Pigment on glass. I have long known about these polymers,from the middle and far east, but have never befor been able to get a sample. Kuraray America is a Japanese company with an office in TX or IL. I here website is www.kuraray-am.com. They sent me a free 1lb sample of there R-1130,The higher viscosity of two viscosities availible. After making several simple emulsions, I will probablky never silane treat PVOH myself again.
    Anyway, I made a small batch of panchro emulsion in which, instead of splitting, the batch into three parts AFTER precipitation, I split the ammoniacle silver solution into two parts. I then added S/Au, in the form of Steigmman's Solution to both halves. Then I added Sands SDE3008(green senstizing dye) to one half and SDA3057(red sensitizing dye) to the other. Interestingly, the SDA3057 turned Cyan (the objective) dispite the fact that no Iodine was present.
    I combined the two halves and added formalin. Coated onto glass, about 6 mils wet thickness. The next day I exposed through red,green and blue separation filters. The sensitivity of the red exposed plates was only slightly weeker than the green and blue exposed plates.(BTW-The color of the emulsion itself is bright lavende).
    I am very much incouraged.
    If anyone is interested in more detale,ask and ye shall receive. I have no secrets.
    Bill

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    For clarification, I should say that the two halves of the ammoniacle silver/dye/steigmann's solution were added,one at a time to the Resin/Br/I solution under shear of 1200rpm.
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Congratulations! I love it! I am truly inspired by your scientific persistence and integrity and your artistic vision. Your bug macros are gorgeous. You're definitely in my 'cool dude' pantheon, sir.
    , d

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, do I understand this correctly... you're not using gelatin at all?
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Yes,
    That is correct. Not a mg. of gelatin.
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That seems quite incredible to me. I'd love to know more, but I just don't know what to ask. Perhaps I will after the emulsion workshop...
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill;

How did you harden it?

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    PE,
    Formalin. But I am not convinced,yet, that any hardener is required. HOT water will soften the emulsion, or hot water will soften a solution of the polymer in waster,after drying on glass. But when cold it is hard and virtualy imposible to get tthe solution or an emulsion made of this polymer off glass.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill;

From my days coating PVA, I remember that it is not noted for being hardenable, so another site must be present. We used to add other active sites for hardening. I wonder what the reaction might be. Nothing occurs to me OTOMH.

Thanks.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bill, that thing you started looks very interesting to me! If you can share some more details about, I would be more than glad! I have a question though: did you use the silanized PVOH just for a better adherence to glass, or also due to its (somewhat) different properties compared to plain PVOH? At which temp does it set?
    thanx in advance

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin