Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,199   Posts: 1,531,481   Online: 901

Shooter
    Multi Format

liquid emulsion printing on skin?

so i was at work bored out of my mind when i thought about using liquid emulsion to print on my hand/arm or other body part. i have never used it before and was just wondering if anyone else here has heard of this or done it. i know there are several factors ie focus falling off and holding steady long enough. maybe using a latex glove? thoughts?

brad

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bradwoodville View Post
    so i was at work bored out of my mind when i thought about using liquid emulsion to print on my hand/arm or other body part. i have never used it before and was just wondering if anyone else here has heard of this or done it. i know there are several factors ie focus falling off and holding steady long enough. maybe using a latex glove? thoughts?

brad
    Well, for one thing, you probably won't want to use any potentially harmful developer like a normal hydroquinone based developer, but go for a "Jnanian style" natural coffee developer. If it is not because of the fact that hydroquinone is listed as a potential harmful agent (just look at the warning labels of your developer), it might be because you don't want the image permanently engraved in your skin as a de-pigmentated skin area. Hydroquinone was popular with some Afro Americans for the purpose of lightening their skin. I think this usage is now prohibited because of potential negative health effects, and it sure didn't do Michael Jackson any good

In addition, it is probably best to be like the "Ice Man", and permanently live in a cold climate, as the emulsion will be close, or over, the melting point on your 38 degree skin. It might run of your skin in a hot climate...

Other than the practicalities, well, it certainly is an original idea...
    Last edited by Marco B; 06-21-2011 at 02:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You will have to harden the emulsion somehow, and all hardeners I can think of are rather nasty when applied to human skin. The image will rapidly crack due to the natural movement of skin, and the image will probably only last a few days if that.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The image will rapidly crack due to the natural movement of skin, and the image will probably only last a few days if that.

PE
    Which is probably exactly what Brad is after as a one-off art project...
    Last edited by Marco B; 06-21-2011 at 03:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it is not hardened, it will wash off during processing due to body heat.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You could enlarge a negative onto some sheet film, tape the image to your body and contact print it at a tanning salon?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmmmm.......How much of a tan? Their could be a market........

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    RA-4 works great at body temperature!
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    Which is probably exactly what Brad is after as a one-off art project...
    One-off, indeed...
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    There might be another use for the Dye Tranfer processw here. I actualy did think about this, several weeks ago. But there are already too many instences where I get AgNO3 under my nitryl gloves!
    Bill

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin