Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,889   Online: 917

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill;

The problem was solved shortly after that workshop and the blades were reworked to meet the 1 mil specification. Sorry, I thought I had posted that. The film and plate coaters did not have the problem due to size. I showed one prototype of each (film and plate) coater at the workshop you attended.

Film and plate coaters are identical except for 2 things. The plate coaters are narrower in order to fit one plate, but the film coaters are 1/4" over width to allow for sheet film widths plus selvedge. And, the plate coaters allow the doctor blade to sit as high as the thickness of the plate + the desired undercut. So, a film coater will allow 2 mil - 20 mil undercut but a plate coater will allow that plus the thickness of a glass plate.

I coat 3 - 4 4x5 plates at one time using a plate coater. I've shown the coater and the results here and I believe in the video on APUG.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hi PE,
    Sorry that I lost track of your efforts with coating blades. Do you have any for sale right now? Or is this a future thing?
    As you know, my emulsions are based on modified PVA, not gelatin, and the rheology is very diffrent. You might be surprised at just how different. But I would like to get my hands on one of your gizzmos soon.
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill;

I have one prototype plate coater and two prototype film coaters. I don't have current plans for selling them. That may change, but the cost is too high for a one off item.

As for coating PVA, BTDT as well as PVP and PVAA and co-polymers of these with other monomers. It was rather common at EK to do this in research. That is why I started a thread on testing new vehicles.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I have a prototype glass plate coater that you guys should try sometime.

PE
    How we gonna try it if nobody gonna make it? I never took Metal Shop in High School. Just Print Shop, where we actualy did Type Setting and everybody got lead poisoning.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    PE,
    All joking aside! Could not one follow the exact same designes of your coating devices , but make them in plastic or glass? Material cost would be much lower, at least. You could break up the overall shape into simple shapes,have them fabricated, then cement them together. True, this would not be as precise as your machined stainless. But do we realy need that degree of precision? I ain't trying to " beat a dead hoarse". But,after all, you brought it up again.
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, here are some things to consider.....

A prototype is an item being tested for suitability and if it fails is rejected, or redesigned. So, that is where I am right now. I have 2 or 3 designs under consideration.

As for plastic or other? Well, it is SS to effect heat retention, weight stability and abrasion resistance ( for paper units mainly ) and so is still being tested in the face of other designs. Be patient.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just ran across this company. http://qualtechproductsindustry.com/...cation-series/

I know a number of companies make these kind of coating tools. Any thoughts on their suitability for what we're interested in?
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Holmburgers,
    I have not tried these notch type bars. Only meyer rods. I think its worth a try.
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I indicated before, these are common in the paint industry. I have some like those shown in the reference, but the ones I found commercially were made of aluminum, some teflon coated, and ran about $1200 for a 4" blade. Please note the sizes and undercuts in the references and try to get more detail.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin