Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,174   Online: 1061

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Coating Glass Plates

Hello to All,
    Those of you who have read my posts on this Forum know that I have a pair of hands that are just not connected to my Brain. On top of that, all of my glass plate coating must be done in total darkness, with only a relatively cheap IR monocal. I have tryed the traditional pouring of emulsion; glass rod draw downs;and steel Meyer Rod draw downs. All these methods have given me problems, both with the quality of th coating and with making a big mess, as well as wasting good emulsion on the floor.
    Last night I tried,sucsesfully, the method that Denise Ross uses. She has described it in detail somewhere on this forum or on her website www.thelightfarm.com. Basicly, A catheter syringe is used to slowly lay down a coating on a glass plate nestled closely in a glass frame, slightly higher than the glass plate itself.
    This method is the easiest, cleanest method that I have ever tried. I highly recommend it.
    If I can do it, anyone can!
    Cheers,
    Bill

Bill,

Can I get a decent film density range for carbon transfer printing from home-made emulsion? Also, I don't want to use glass plates. Do you know
    how well does polyester sheets take emulsion?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hi Andrew,
    I am certain that you can get negatives with sufficiant D-max for carbon printing. My most recent emulsions are as black as my sense of humor. As for printing on polyester,IDK. I have no interest. Denise Ross has published on this forum about her sucessful coating on untreated Melanex.
    Bill

Thank you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andrew, at the GEH emulsion workshop I coated some AZO emulsion on photoformulary's subbed Estar Melinex and it worked great. I haven't shot or developed it yet, but this is a very easy product to work with.

You might also consider trying Dura-Lar's "prepared" (gel-coated) surface. Might also be called "wet media"??
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Thank you!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbillbugman View Post
    Last night I tried,sucsesfully, the method that Denise Ross uses. She has described it in detail somewhere on this forum or on her website www.thelightfarm.com. Basicly, A catheter syringe is used to slowly lay down a coating on a glass plate nestled closely in a glass frame, slightly higher than the glass plate itself.
    This method is the easiest, cleanest method that I have ever tried. I highly recommend it.
    If I can do it, anyone can!
    Cheers,
    Bill
    That sounds like a great subject for a You Tube video. What size of a plate did you coat?
    Michael

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Michael,
    All of my plates ar 5x7. That is the size I will be using should I ever get around to making art with these emulsions.,
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a prototype glass plate coater that you guys should try sometime. I have coated about 4 plates at one time using it.

Results are quite good.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I have a prototype glass plate coater that you guys should try sometime. I have coated about 4 plates at one time using it.

Results are quite good.

PE
    PE,
    By "you guys" to whom are you reffering? I would be happy to try it. But Buffalo,NY, or wherever you are, is a long way from S.B.,CA ! Is this the same coater that your machinist was having trouble with the base bending? I remember, at your workshop 4 years ago, you were explaning the problem . I never heared anything else about it. It was a big chunk of high quality stainless steel.
    Bill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin