Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,995   Posts: 1,524,282   Online: 848

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    My goldfish can't remember the question long enough to answere it.
    " The strongest glue on earth" What kind of strong? Strong smelling?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    strongest tasting
    Last edited by Mustafa Umut Sarac; 11-16-2011 at 04:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought this was interesting...

If you have a color television set there is a good possibility that the critical part of the television tube, the aperture mask, was made using a photolithographic process with fish gelatin as the photoresist base.

from http://www.norlandprod.com/techrpts/fishgelrpt.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fish gelatin cannot chill set. It is therefore a thin runny mass at temperatures much around room temps and even below.

If you coat it to use as a relief image, you must remember that it should be exposed through the base to allow adhesion to the support, and since it is not chill set, it causes severe problems in manipulation and handling during exposure.

It is not widely used in photography due to a number of problems. There are extensive publications (patents) on this granted to Kodak and a number of other companies.

PE

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbillbugman View Post
    Jim,
    Good to see that you are still reading this Forum. I wonder how you have been doing your Dye Transfer work since, I think, you got rid of yuour coating mashine. Coating by hand? I am still working primereily on a Pan emulsion for Color sep. work. I think I just need to ballance sensitivity befor I have a working emulsion. Well, P.E. told me this would not be easy. That was 4 years ago! But I have only been working on it for 3.................................
    If you can get the gelatin to harden on exposure at all It might be very,very delicate, with all that water. But "might be" never built an Italian city!
    Bill
    Bill - I sold all the coating equipment to Bud and the Formulary, and have been using the Fotokemika (Efke brand) film that was coated using my formulation. They coated 3 miles (3 master rolls) of the stuff and I have a freezer full of it. The coating setup was just used to develop the emulsion and make a few prints, I probably could have done that by hand coating, but the original intent was to be able to make 30x40" prints with my home-made matrix film. I did make quite a few 20x24" prints that turned out nicely. Still... you can't beat just taking sheets out of a box for simplicity! The only reason I started the project at all was because I had lots of equipment for making DT prints, and no source of film. I wouldn't have undertaken the project if the film had been available commercially. Talk about the Mother of Necessity!

Regards - Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It won't chill set, but it will dry right? Though, I can see how that would be very annoying actually... having to lie flat until dry.

One could add a little fish glue to normal gelatin to lower the gel temperature.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    All of my emulsions must dry, rather than set. I just put them horizonaly in drawers. Depending on RH they take between 12 to 72 hours to dry. No big deal.
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, there you go! Maybe fish gelatin emulsions can be a nice middle ground for vegetarians that east fish, but not other meat. Vegans can stick with Bill's polymers....

Ives' used stained fish-glue reliefs on celluloid to make his Kromskop color pictures. I wonder if there's an advantage for anything?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin