Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,545   Online: 1019

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ever heard or seen this? HiPure Liquid Gelatin (liquid at room temperature)

I came across this intriguing product yesterday. It's a high purity gelatin that remains liquid at room temperature. It's made by Norland Products and called HiPure liquid gelatin. Check it out -> http://www.norlandprod.com/fishgel/hipure.html

Here is what it says about using it as a photographic emulsion...

HiPure Liquid Gelatin is very suitable for use in photographic applications. It is deionized in the manufacturing process to remove all salts and the low molecular weight organic impurities. This gives a very pure gelatin with low ash. It should be noted that HiPure has no cysteine and very little methionine in its composition, so it is very low in sulphur.

HiPure's greatest advantage for photographic coatings is the fact that water solutions remain flowable liquids at room temperature which eliminates many of the handling problems associated with gelatin. Our liquid gelatin eliminates the need for heated coating equipment and its critical temperature and viscosity control. It mixes quickly into water with simple stirring and eliminates the problem of undissolved gelatin which cause coating flaws. HiPure also allows higher solid solutions to be formulated with the inherent advantage of faster drying time. No other gelatin is as easy to use in photographic coatings as HiPure Liquid Gelatin.

I don't really know what to make of it, but I'd love to hear what you folks out there think about it!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    thanks for posting Chris I am interested

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Placer mio!

Apparently it's all fish gelatin derived from cold water fish. You can buy it as a powder as well. They've got a number of different types.

https://www.norlandprod.com/Fishdefault.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, so it's coming full circle now. I was searching for fish glue because it's mentioned quite a bit in old literature on carbon type processes. Anyways, the liquid gelatin was fascinating in it's own right, but I see now that all of this stuff is technically "fish glue", a.k.a. gelatin made from fish. It appears that all of it stays liquid at room temperature.

Here, the use of dichromates with fish glue is specifically mentioned.

I'm quite curious about its other properties, but being able to pour carbon tissues without a heated water bath for the emulsion is one obvious advantage.

Interesante!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I wonder if you can harden an image out of this gelatin in-situ? I had an idea of creating matrices for Dye Transfer printing by flowing the emulsion under a piece of film which is vacuumed to a piece of glass above it. You then expose it (either to visible light if it is silver based, or UV light if it is dichromated gelatin), and the emulsion hardens out of the liquid emulsion onto the film. You could even continuously pump and filter it if it doesn't gel. The idea is to eliminate the need for coating the film, so you wouldn't have to worry about coating defects, the need for drying, etc.

- Jim Browning

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Jim,
    Good to see that you are still reading this Forum. I wonder how you have been doing your Dye Transfer work since, I think, you got rid of yuour coating mashine. Coating by hand? I am still working primereily on a Pan emulsion for Color sep. work. I think I just need to ballance sensitivity befor I have a working emulsion. Well, P.E. told me this would not be easy. That was 4 years ago! But I have only been working on it for 3.................................
    If you can get the gelatin to harden on exposure at all It might be very,very delicate, with all that water. But "might be" never built an Italian city!
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim, that's a very interesting idea!, and kinda out there..

I suspect Bill is onto something regarding the fragility. Somewhere on that web-page I read about how fragile fish gelatin is, and of course plasticizers are key. Not sure if it's more fragile than normal gelatin or what.

Though working with a liquid at room temp gelatin might provide some other advantages in coating?

Anybody got an idea of what the isoelectric point of fish gelatin is?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Anybody got an idea of what the isoelectric point of fish gelatin is?[/QUOTE]

I will ask my pet goldfish and get back to you.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I do know fish stomach is the strongest glue on earth.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That sounds positive!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin