Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,011   Online: 677

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Old emulsion on new coating machines?

Just visited a friend in a film archive and was looking at snippets of some of those beautiful pre war emulsion like Kodak Super Sensitive Panachromatic and the like and I was wondering if it's possible to coat prewar thick emulsion with the new Kodak, Agfa, Ilford coating machines ?
    I am grateful for any answers.

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know the answer; there are people here that I think will know, though.

That is a fantasy of mine too!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't imagine why not. I think the issue is at the kettle end of the process, not coating. A company needs to believe there's a market for the old beauties, and then it will happen. I actually kinda think it's going to go in that direction. Just as Ilford now does custom format cutting, someone will (and of course, this is my conjecture/hope only) make custom runs of emulsions. Lodima is a brilliant example of what can be accomplished with enough love and effort. Fingers crossed. More people need to have Dominik's experience of looking at the real deal to realize -- all over again -- the potential of silver halide photography.

Shooter
    35mm
    I suppose in certain cases old emulsions cannot be recreated because they employed toxic substances which are now outlawed or which in any case the film maker would not want to employ to avoid bad publicity. In other cases maybe it's the developer which is toxic. I suppose this applies mainly to colour material. Certainly somebody else can make a more informed observation on this matter.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    35mm
    My understanding, from the Ilford/Harman factory tour, (and apologies if I'm pre-empting anything Simon might post) was that their largest machine can coat not only all the different film emulsions but also paper. So presumably, and theoretically if not economically, it could be done?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's also possible that these older thick emulsions were coated in more than one pass.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The old emulsions can not only be coated on modern equipment, they can be made on modern equipment. In fact, some of this emulsions are being made and coated on the original 1920s - 40s equipment. This is being done by some of the Eastern European companies.

Many of these were Ammonia digest makes such as found in the FIAT or BIOS reports. The best book description is in Baker (2nd Edition). It is the basis for my own film / plate emulsion.

PE

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for all the replies

Dominik

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It would be really nice to see someone make some of these older formulas. Probably on a one or two short runs per year basis. Maybe if the R&D doesn't really have to be re-created it might even be economical for the manufacturer but I would not expect the film to be cheap to the consumer as it would be a low quantity "custom" product.

Is there anything currently available in 35mm that would be classified as an old-style emulsion? I would like to try one.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe Efke/Adox is the oldest Emulsion in production but has nothing in common with pre-war emulsions, as it was the first of the new thin layer(s) emulsions. Forte was to my knowledge the last company to produce thick layer films (Fortepan)
    Maybe that filmcoating company in Iran or Tasma in Russia still produce old style films?

Dominik

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin