Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,937   Posts: 1,557,265   Online: 1181

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hrst View Post
    Our ISO25 was very fine-grained, comparable to traditional ISO100ish films like Plus-X or APX100. So, you lose "only" two stops by making your own, old-style emulsion compared to modern commercial products. 2 stops only, it's not so bad, completely usable!
    Not so bad at all! I really, really hope you start cooking again.

re The Formulary's subbed film: 7 mil is perfect for sheet film. It's too thick for roll film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Photoformulary support is 7 mil which does limit the length of a film roll that can be wound on a spool. It is ideal for LF though.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Well, I'm willing to do 120...

... but my real reason for looking at 35mm is because that is the equipment I have. However, I can see why 120 film would be easier and it's not going to be hard to talk me into that. Adding to the collection is NOT a problem for me. But to go down the MF path, I have to slip a camera AND silver nitrate and all the other stuff in under the radar. It can be done, of course, as long as the financial manager doesn't figure out exactly how many $$$ are going out the door on this project.

What's a modestly priced camera to start with? Almost all of my 35mm equipment is Pentax so I've been looking at Pentax 645's on the big auction site and KEH. Is that a good way to go? I'd want something with some room for growth (lenses etc.) I can tell you that, unfortunately, that Hassleblad's need not apply.

-- Jason

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    BTW, "The Light Farm" is a great website and "The Book" is on my list!

Also with regards to a mixing machine, would a blender work? There is at least one in our kitchen closet that hasn't seen the light of day in about 15 years so it will never be missed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A blender can be to vigorous for emulsion making due to the fact that the blades at high speed can crack grains and also too much air can be whipped into the emulsion. A propeller mixer on a controllable drill does just fine.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    A blender can be to vigorous for emulsion making due to the fact that the blades at high speed can crack grains and also too much air can be whipped into the emulsion. A propeller mixer on a controllable drill does just fine.
    Like one of those paint mixers you can buy at the hardware store? And use it at a fairly low speed? I have a nice drill stand for the drill so that would work out OK.

Don't those paint mixers resemble the mixer that you had talked about a few months ago?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a set of Stainless Steel prop paint mixers, but the plastic kind would probably work. At our scale, about 300 rpm is just about right for a 100 - 500 ml batch.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    What's a modestly priced camera to start with? Almost all of my 35mm equipment is Pentax so I've been looking at Pentax 645's on the big auction site and KEH. Is that a good way to go? I'd want something with some room for growth (lenses etc.) I can tell you that, unfortunately, that Hassleblad's need not apply.
    -- Jason
    Jason,

Actually, I'm thinking really, really basic (and cheap.) Just something to test film with. There are a lot of old 120 cameras and new Holgas, etc. You need to make a lot of emulsions, and figure out how you're going to coat and then practice coating the film strips and loading them on spools. And then, go out and take pictures. Lots of pictures. Try a couple of different developers. Play. Tweak. Curse. Laugh. Keep going.

For the camera and darkroom odds and ends, check ebay, or even better, the APUG classifieds. The only thing to make sure is that the camera has a B(ulb) setting. Making emulsions is nowhere near as complicated as it can seem on some of these threads, but there is a certain amount of time required to assemble the equipment and workspace, and unless you're a savant, you probably will have a little time before you have to decide on your ultimate dream camera system.

Hopefully, this all sounds like a wonderful challenge and you can hardly wait to get started! I won't kid you. There's a learning curve, but WOW, the payoff.

The best of luck and fun,
    d

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi Denise,

I started looking for some alternative cameras on ebay and identified a nice Ansco folding 120 camera to go after. They aren't expensive and readily available. It'll be awhile yet before I make anything, but it'll be a cool, vintage camera to use while I am collecting backing paper, spools, etc.!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Outstanding!

,d

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin