Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,053   Online: 784

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Digitizing 35mm negatives using a macro lens

I have approximately 20 years worth of negatives I wish to digitalize. I have been using a Canoscan 9000f photo scanner. Although it is a really good scanner for amateur use, it is slow and the quality of the scans are good but often compare very poorly with the original prints. I wish therefore to try photographing my negatives using my DSLM micro 4/3 camera with a macro lens.

Has anybody on APUG tried this? Any advice regarding (legacy) lenses and software to flip the negative image would be very appreciated.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    To be honest, scanning is generally way off topic on APUG - It is a question best asked over on DPUG.

But....if you want low cost software to process the digital file, you can't get much cheaper than GIMP - I think there is a build available to run under Windows, probably one for MAC, and definitely packaged ready to run on most Linux installs.

P.S. Welcome to the forum. They are a great bunch of guys and gals here with an amazing depth of knowledge.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bon I've sent you a PM.
    Last edited by pdeeh; 06-08-2014 at 04:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Many thanks for your very kind welcome messages. I have been reading APUG forums for over a year now without signing up and I am vey pleased that I have finally done so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG.

There have been various discussions of this in DPUG and there is a lot of good information there detailing various pros and cons. In a nutshell, yes, it is an option.
    As others have stated, in this context, it's OT for APUG, however.

Here is a pointer to the forum where this is getting discussed;
    http://www.dpug.org/forums/f6/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is an excellent scanner and I doubt you will be able to do better with a digital camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Can anyone tell me how people get images on to the Apug gallery for viewing?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FM2N View Post
    Can anyone tell me how people get images on to the Apug gallery for viewing?
    This has been discussed here at length: specific problems of that kind can be discussed at the Feedback forum. General discussion of this matter though is off topic here.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I would reply but that would take a digital machine of some sort. On second thought where on APUG is there a thread or tutorial that explains how to upload, using a scanner, to post pictures? Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin