Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,530   Posts: 1,572,475   Online: 1084

Shooter
    Multi Format

Best "Affordable" Fiber Optic Illuminator for Macro / Micro

I may be in the market for a fiber optic illuminator for use with 4x5 at magnifications between 1:5 and 5:1 and apertures from f/4 to f/32 at timed indoor exposures between 1/30 and several minutes. I'd like at least two cables and adjustable intensity. Independently adjustable intensity is even better. Is this a realistic set of requirements? I'd like to keep total cost below $100 but if that's unrealistic given the stated requirements then I could spend more. I just don't want to be too extravagant.
    Last edited by Old-N-Feeble; 09-01-2014 at 11:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you looked on eBay yet? If not, go look.

The fiber optic illuminators I've used with low magnification photomicroscopy illuminated quite small areas. 1:5 with 4x5 film needs to have an area 20" x 25" illuminated evenly.

Put on your thinking cap and think hard about using electronic flash units, ideally with adjustable power levels. Hint: I sometimes use a Vivitar 283 with a VP-1 power level adjusted for closeup work. Good coverage, the VP-1 gives an 8 stop range, and additional control can be obtained by adjusting flash-to-subject distance. What can be done with one flash can be done with two.

Don't even think about flash meters, learn how to use GN arithmetic with adjustment for magnification. I'm not completely against flash meters, use one to determine my flashes true GNs but I don't need the meter in the field.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Can you please ask easier questions ? One Apug members request .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good stuff so far. Thanks, Dan. Thanks, Mustafa.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin