Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,307   Online: 832

Shooter
    Medium Format

Enter: stage focusing

http://photographeronbudget.blogspot...-focusing.html

Salvaged a mono-axis custom-made stage out of a custom made rig originally used to photograph print sample to assess print heads.

Now it's horizontal and does macro photography.

Let me guys know what you think, ask any questions, and check out the other posts in the blog as well.

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting. I didn't know that any Canon 5D used film. Live and learn.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Film? Excuse-moi?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KingRoach View Post
    Film? Excuse-moi?
    pssst, this is an analogue ( film ) site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The focusing stage would work equally well with film cameras, and could be a handy thing. I can think of at least one situation where it would have been hugely helpful for me.

But since it's a custom one-off, the description would be a little more valuable if there were some photos of it detailing how one might go about making one. Or else sources for something similar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to have an X-Y axis focus rail for macro work. Mount to the tripod and add a camera.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Oops! A is for Analogue!

I thought you might be interested in gear in general. Well, this is about the stage/focusing rail, which works the same way with film cameras. I doubt you want to 'stack' with film, but you can fine-focus an extreme macro shot.

Thanks for the heads up, jnanian.

bdial, you have a point. I could now describe how the thing was made. They did use some swiss-made rail with ball bearings, but the threading and mounting was all custom made. It should be very simple if you have a cnc or routing machine, but depending on the cost of having one routed for you, buying one ready-made might be the better option.

I will try to put some details together and post them for you when they are ready.

Rick A: there is a section at the end of my blog post commenting on the difference between macro rails, focusing stages, and such. There is a significant difference in application due to much greater difference in how fine you can focus. Cheap macro rails are not worth spending a single penny on, as they're not good even as fixed mounts. They will wobble. They will not move well. If yours is a good brand and does a good job for you, could you please share some info about it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fine focus stage for macro is nothing new and has been available for years.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	meW_fIurU7pzPmXcGE4HEiQ.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	96988

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It was a Slik two axis macro focus rail, very heavy duty and rock solid lock up with fine adjust. I sold it when I started doing macro with a view camera.
    Last edited by Rick A; 10-31-2014 at 07:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Fine focus stage for macro is nothing new and has been available for years.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	meW_fIurU7pzPmXcGE4HEiQ.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	96988
    Yup, got one of those also. Good old Spiratone, I still miss them.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin