Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,750   Online: 1098

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Need Help with Macro shooting

I have a Pentax AF 645 system with the lenses that came with the kit and I want to do some macro work. I've searched e-bay and can't decide what lens I need to do great close up work. Any suggestions.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Schneider G-Claron is a great older lens for macro work. The only problem is you'll need to have the Photo Fairy transform your Pentax into an 8x10.

Seriously, I'm not sure what is available for the Pentax for macro work. Aside from the lens, you'll need the capability of much greater lens extension for the close focusing - either a bellows unit or extension rings. Often, reversing the lens via a lens-reversing adapter is needed to get optimal sharpness from a conventional lens at macro distances. True macro lenses are corrected for the close focusing distances, whereas conventional lenses are corrected for infinity focus.

Longer focal lengths require even more extension, but provide the convenience of somewhat greater lens-to-subject distance, making lighting more convenient. Then, there's the problem of DOF being very limited at macro distances. So, a lens with smaller apertures may be a better choice.

Lots of trade-offs in the macro realm, and there are a variety of solutions based on what you want to achieve.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the response. I guess I need to do more research

Shooter
    35mm
    I do not know the Pentax system well. You either need a macro lens or a extention tube set or a bellows or a simple close up lens. If you can get a doublet close up lens that fits the front threads on the lens you already have you could get very nice results. I have seen examples made with a doublet close up lens that out performed an extention tube.

You could go to the hpmarketing website and check out Novoflex bellows to see if they offer adapters for your camera. If they do then you could use an enlarging lens on the bellows which is very flexible and the equal of a good quality macro lens.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks, I'll look into it and see what works for my camera. I think I can get the close up lens that screws on the front. I just wasn't sure how well that would work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Pentax has everything from close up lenses, to extension tubes and bellows for their 645 camera.

The bellows would allow the greatest macro capability insofar as degree of magnification and control. The extension tubes would be next in capability. The close up lens would be last.

Close up lenses will not normally get one into the life size arena that most macro work addresses.

Prices vary quite a lot between the differing approaches.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin