Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,665   Posts: 1,481,687   Online: 714

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L
    I think I saw someone else mention this earlier in the thread, but couldn't find it. At these magnifications you'll want to use a focusing rail. One driven by a rack and pinion or a threaded rod (like the Bogen 3419 Micro Positioning Plate) is best.

You can't focus effectively with bellows or by shifting the tripod at the magnifications you're talking about, so you need to move the whole rig (camera, lens, bellows) back and forth in very small increments to focus. It can be done with a sliding rail, but a rack & pinion or screw drive is much better.

Sorry to add to your equipment list. Have you considered reversing rings for stacking a couple of your existing lenses? See Shaw for how to do this and to calculate reproduction ratios.
    Lee, I am aware of the difficulties of working at high magnifications and already use a focussing rack. I also use couplers and stacked lenses but I am looking at these movie lenses to go beyond what can be done with coupling.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A lot of old cine prime lenses have Series filter threads. Series 4.5 for the tiny lenses for 8 mm and Series 5.5 for lenses for 16 mm are typical. Here's a guy who supplies an adapter from Series 5.5 to 49 mm.

As I mentioned before, I used the universal mix-and-match BPM bellows and this was long enough ago for BPM parts to be readily available and cheap. Here is one on eBay.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have 25mm f1.9 cine ektar (no II). Is there any difference with CE II?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    FYI, I have a cine lens that came in a box of junk i bought. It just happened to fit perfectly on a reverse adapter i made to fit a 35mm ysaron on my cannon FD. I havent taken any pics, but from the viewfinder, it looks really good. I'm not an expert on macro photography but it looked bright and sharp. Let us know what you come up with.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have read Lefokovitz, a good book.
    Blaker states that the quality control of lenses is an issue of importance, so if you are thinking of doing something scientific with the lens, test a few and compare.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Maybe you are looking for somthing like this?

http://www.naturfotograf.com/roll_your_own_lens.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by vet173 View Post
    Maybe you are looking for somthing like this?

http://www.naturfotograf.com/roll_your_own_lens.html
    That's interesting.

I've read the Lefkowitz book several times, in fact I have it right now from the library, and I thought it has a pretty good discription on how to set up a movie lens for 35mm cameras. I wish it wasn't out of print, so that I could get a copy for myself.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

My photos

Shooter
    35mm

Movie Lenses For Macro

The Lefkowitz book is available from many internet used booksellers. I bought two of them earlier this year for very little. One was given as a gift to a student and one I kept as a back-up.

I used a reversed Switar years ago before I got micro lenses. I have a 120/6.3 Macro Nikkor from the Multiphot system and the 12.5/2 and 25/2.5 Minolta bellows lenses from the Auto Bellows III system. Over the years I have used many enlarging lenses, both front forward and reversed, on bellows for macro work. The Minolta Auto Bellows III has some movements so the 60/4 Bogen Wide Angle enlarging lens works well with its extra coverage. The 40/3.5 Bogen Wide Angle enlarging lens, reversed, also works well. For coins and stamps I have had luck with an older version of the 80/5.6 EL Nikkor. Even enlarging lenses like the 40mm EL Nikkor cost very little today so I would prefer them to cine lenses unless I needed much more magnification.

I have Auto Rings for both Konica and Canon systems. If you don't need too much working distance then you can reverse a 28mm or 24mm lens and use an Auto Ring to get semi-automatic diaphragm control. With a flash or two hooked up this is a great rig for chasing moving insects.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin