Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,602   Online: 832

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Anyone who lacks the guts to keep on using a camera because others make fun of it is rather weak kneed I beleive.

I have a brother-in-law who is an MD..now retired. In the late 70's he bought a brand new Lincoln Continental. White with maroon upolsterly, it was a gorgeous car..just stunningly beautiful. When I saw him 3 months later the Lincoln had been replaced by a Mercedes. I asked him why he had rid himself of the Lincoln. He answered because the other doctors laughed at it.

Pathetic
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah, RED BOOK NIKKOR !

The home of lens envy, a bizarre but strangely moving website.

And who am I to cast stones ?

Anyway, look out for auctions, sales, scrap parts- rummage sales. About all you can do. And ANY deaprtment is likely to have neat stuff gathering dust. Classics profs often collect ancient coins: a prof of mine had a full Nikon Multiphot in his office !

Any place that uses optical gadgets for some purpose... or did.. is a possibility.

The guy on photo.net sounds too bizarre for words. The Department Chairman is usually entitled to evicerate anybody who would do such a thing... if true, I hope the perpetrator is removed from the gene pool.

Nikon is a good example ( Zeiss and Leitz being others ), renowned for photo gear, but whose real expertise is in the Scientific area. Taking pictures of scenery is laughably easy compared to doing scientific imaging. When you are balancing diffraction, motion, and depth of field to make the image --- and controlling the results by adjusting the wavetength of light -- THAT'S technical photography.

Anyhow, for sane field photography, almost any well made special lens will suffice. I've never believed that Zeiss, for instance, makes special optics that are kept secret. The best gear that is made is made to be sold. But sometimes we can pick up something that will suffice... it is bizarre to think that a super rare objective might turn up for the takingm, but these are funny times.

By all means, don't become afflicted by lens obsession.... but keep your eyes open as you walk the halls of your building

For more information about thses old objectives, Red Book & 1001 Nikon are good places.... as well as local leica / zeiss / nikon reps ( for the scientific market ).

Best of luck

don
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    For more information about thses old objectives, Red Book & 1001 Nikon are good places....
    What's 1001 Nikon?

-A

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I found a set of Tominon macro lenses on e-bay a year or so ago for £50 - these were 135, 105, 50, 35 and 17 mm and have a fine 40 mm thread that fits right into a #1 shutter. They were made for use with the Polaroid MP3 and MP4 cameras. Can't say how they compare with macro lenses from Leica or Zeiss, etc., but can't complain about the price!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My recommendation past 5x would be - YES - a microscope objective! Olympus S-Planar objectives are quite nice. As are the Leitz (Wild-Heerbrugg) and Nikon designs. Screw the shutter though. Why would you need it? Any ambient light shots could easily be dealt with by a lenscap - (you're probably looking at 10 plus seconds even in sunlight) or if you're using a strobe - well - I don't need to tell you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    ... Screw the shutter though. Why would you need it? ...
    For one thing, it saves shoe leather, and it's good for people with short arms! It's a long way from the front to the back of a view camera when you're doing macro!

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    True enough. Though I'm usually only behind when composing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin