Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,714   Posts: 1,483,031   Online: 733

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would love to have a macro forum. I want to learn more about macro. Many times I have read forums with questions I didn't know to ask and have learned a great deal. I think it is important to remember that the APUG community is comprised of many levels of expertise and it is good to try to serve all. Perhaps we should divide the forums into beginner, intermediate and advanced or pro. Then when a beginner asked a beginners question in the pro forum, they can be banished immediately to the beginners forum. (I'm kidding)
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cate said as well as anybody could. I agree.

A Macro forum can be as valuable as Large Format/ULF/Alternate Process forums.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    I see that you've got the idea.

The typical question about macro raised on photo.net is a short one that requires a long answer. Writing a long answer can be a pain; IMO asking for one can be an imposition. And answers to most of the questions raised there and here are fairly easy to find.

I'm sorry that you're tired and that your blood sugar is low. Hope you sleep better tonight and eat better tomorrow.

Cheers,

Dan
    Thank you for the kind words. I think I'm all caught up on my sleeping and eating now.

Writing a long answer is a pain, but we need not feel compelled to respond to every post in which we have something to contribute. I replied, even while overly tired, because I was already invested in the discussion. I will not post to some discussions because I know from the outset that I do not wish to invest the time in presenting my views or addressing replies.

I know that it can be frustrating to those who feel compelled to correct poorly given or inaccurate advice, but this is where a person must decide to either check out and let it go as a learning experience or provide a simple link or book recommendation that will clear up inaccuracies. There is no need to provide lengthy explanations when a simple link or two will suffice.

I think I have made my point and I believe I understand the points you make, but, on that note, I think this is where I step down and just read (no guarantees though). This has been a pleasant exchange and I thank you for that.

Annette

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think we could probably have as a first message in the forum a FAQ list for folks to browse through when searching for answers and the OP could possibly update it when something interesting surfaces that is relevant. This might save some frustration here and there.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There has been a lot of juggling based on the premise that beginners will irritate knowledgeable experts.

My teachers were very patient with me when I began in macroscopy. Very patient. I can't pay them back, but I'm happy to share what little remains of what I was taught :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There tend to be two types of macro photographer, one who has a picture they want to make and just needs a little guidance to get there. Then there are the ones who want to argue theory. We'll see who wants to participate.

It might be good to begin, and just see how it goes. If there comes a time when new APUG members, or new macro shooters, become an irritation, an FAQ would pretty much write itself.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Macro Photography forum is up

Thanks,
    Sean

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Okay, to get the ball rolling, I've moved a bunch of related threads from other forums into the Macro Forum.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    TY Sean and David
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Late to the thread but I second Aggie's comment.

I've always wanted to learn about Macro. I'll make a point of viewing the new forum and learning from some the experts!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Sean and David for setting up the new forum.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin