Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,847   Posts: 1,582,802   Online: 849
      
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 75
  1. #51

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    U.K.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,355
    Yes, thanks to Sean and David - it's good to have everything in one place and easy to find!

    Cate

  2. #52
    Carol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    327
    Images
    1
    May I add my thanks to Sean and David. Your work is much appreciated.
    Carol

    "Out, damned spot! out, I say!" - Lady MacBeth

  3. #53

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    50
    Anupam, congrates on getting this forum started. I think it will take off and be a very active forum for APUG. You have your work cut out.

    For others that don't know me , I started and moderate the macro forum at www.fredmiranda.com . Yes there will be the same questions asked over and over again . And with over 18,433 post later they are still being asked . I started a Macro resource link on the forum where we put links to all types of macro , equipment , articles etc . even with that and directing members to it , they still ask the same ? over and over . Most younger photogs seem to be to lazy to do the research on their on even when they have the greatest resource right onder their fingers , (Anupam I think is one exception to this ,because one of the times I was in contact with him he was in the library.
    unlike the old guys where we had to go to the library for research, they tend to ask and hope other will do the research for them . there is no way around this sorry to say . Most beginners in macro photograph don't want to put in the time or investment to experiment and learn from their on mistakes. I found the best way to teach macro was for me to take the initiative, produce some work, post it and have them ask how I did it , posting pics of the setup , stiring there intrest , then challeging them to do the same , with monthly assignment. Through these assignment , and experimentation , we all learned .

    Writing article, giving tips and posting shots of setups and pics are always helpful.

    Examples :

    Basic Composition
    http://www.shutterfreaks.com/Tips/to...mposition.html

    Seeing Photographs
    http://www.shutterfreaks.com/Tips/to...otographs.html

    Macro for beginners
    http://www.shutterfreaks.com/Tips/tomhicksmacros.html

    Good luck to everyone here , and thanks to the those involved in getting this going, Anupam don't be a stranger, come see me . I mostly lurk here , I have a renewed intrest in the analog way of photography, so I will be popping in to learn as well .

    Good luck,

    Tom Hicks
    www.natureswildscapes.com
    Last edited by Tom Hicks; 03-07-2010 at 03:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  4. #54
    roteague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Kaneohe, Hawaii
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    6,672
    Images
    18
    Thanks Tom, I enjoyed the articles and the images contained in them.

    Not to distract from the value of what you posted, but unfortunately, ShutterFreaks seems too much like a digi lovers paradise for my tastes - every person in the "Our Team" page has the same story "photography came alive when I went digital". Do you happen to know of any of web site that focuses on macro, and whose main point of reference is film, not digital?
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

    "A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

  5. #55

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Thanks Tom, I enjoyed the articles and the images contained in them.

    Not to distract from the value of what you posted, but unfortunately, ShutterFreaks seems too much like a digi lovers paradise for my tastes - every person in the "Our Team" page has the same story "photography came alive when I went digital". Do you happen to know of any of web site that focuses on macro, and whose main point of reference is film, not digital?
    Robert I don't know of any, but please remember that everything in macro is basicly the same be it for digital or film . I will try to put in what I know and may start some threads here , on rev of lens and post pics of the setup. hope this helps .

    Amupam has started something great here , we just all need to nurture it and watch it grow.

    Tom

  6. #56
    hortense's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    612
    Images
    5

    APUG FORUM SHAPED UP

    Don't know what to say now that we are all straight on this forum!
    However, Welcome to your new forum. I expect to learn a lot. Just got 16mm and 32mm Hasselblad tubes. What I am trying to learn is how to mount delicate/awkward specimens on some sort of pedestal or whatever. Lighting. I use soft window light but should use a gauze tent.
    [FONT=Times New Roman]MAC[/FONT]

  7. #57
    roteague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Kaneohe, Hawaii
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    6,672
    Images
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hicks
    Robert I don't know of any, but please remember that everything in macro is basicly the same be it for digital or film . I will try to put in what I know and may start some threads here , on rev of lens and post pics of the setup. hope this helps.
    Thanks Tom, I am looking forward to your contributions. I recently purchased a book "Close-Up & Macro - A Photographer's Guide" by Robert Thompson, and am truly interested in the process. One thing in particular that I am interested in is doing macro with Large Format, although I am not adverse to doing it in MF or 35mm.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

    "A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

  8. #58
    Ole
    Ole is offline
    Ole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Bergen, Norway
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    9,282
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by hortense
    ... Just got 16mm and 32mm Hasselblad tubes. ...
    By pure coincidence I just got a pair of MF tubes too - 14 and 42mm tubes for Bronica ETRS. I'm going to have fun. And do lots of old mistakes all over again.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

  9. #59
    David H. Bebbington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    East Kent, United Kingdom
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,364
    Images
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hicks
    Robert I don't know of any, but please remember that everything in macro is basicly the same be it for digital or film . I will try to put in what I know and may start some threads here , on rev of lens and post pics of the setup. hope this helps .

    Amupam has started something great here , we just all need to nurture it and watch it grow.

    Tom
    One big difference is that with LF film you need more magnification to fill the frame! I cannot recall seeing anyone but scientific specialists practising macro photography at anything bigger than 1x to 1.5x life size. LF macro is a different world, covering the range of roughly 1x to 10x life size. Compared with smaller formats, it can be very cheap - lenses such as the Tominons sold for the Polaroid MP3/MP4 sell for not too much, no other special accessories are required, just a means of focusing by moving the whole camera (or the subject - otherwise you will go insane!) - and the brightest cold light source you can find! And of course a good working knowledge of exposure increase factors as a function of bellows extension!

    Regards,

    David

  10. #60

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington
    One big difference is that with LF film you need more magnification to fill the frame! I cannot recall seeing anyone but scientific specialists practising macro photography at anything bigger than 1x to 1.5x life size. LF macro is a different world, covering the range of roughly 1x to 10x life size. Compared with smaller formats, it can be very cheap - lenses such as the Tominons sold for the Polaroid MP3/MP4 sell for not too much, no other special accessories are required, just a means of focusing by moving the whole camera (or the subject - otherwise you will go insane!) - and the brightest cold light source you can find! And of course a good working knowledge of exposure increase factors as a function of bellows extension!

    Regards,

    David
    David, I forget you guys shoot alot of MF and Lf , that's above my head, and have no clue to the challenges ya'll face in that world . but if I hang around here I know I will learn and look forward to it. I have a limited knowledge of macro that I can share but it will be 35mm based.

    Tom

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin