Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,210   Online: 932

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Minimalist's Setup?

I have recently gotten into Macro and am really enjoying the results. I have a RB67 #2tube and 90mm and 140 for macro work. I really want to get a small "studio" setup (possibly just lighting and a small staging area) so I can light and present my subject well (right now I have just been using bare bulbs and a placemat). I shoot only B&W for now, so if anyone has suggestions for an adequate setup, I'd love to hear them!

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Whenever doing macro work with small format I always seem to focus by moving the whole camera and not twisting the lens. After a few hours of this I wish I had a moveble "focussing rack" upon which to mount the camera...if that makes any sense? In the parlance of manufacturing automation, it'd be called a linear stage...I'd mount it to the tripod and then mount the camera to the stage. The stage would allow one to easily move the entire camera in one or two (or, even three!) dimensions.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    BradS,

Do a google search for "Velbon Macro Slider".

Dave,

You might want to investigate getting a "shooting tent". This will diffuse the light....some people hate the effect, and others love it. You can get a small one relatively cheap....

HTH, Bill
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hahn View Post
    BradS,

Do a google search for "Velbon Macro Slider".
    YUP! That'd do the trick....thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Generically, focusing rail. Velbon's isn't the only one. For example, Novoflex offered them decades before Velbon started in business.

In my experience, a focusing rail isn't necessary when shooting an SLR with flash at magnifications not much higher than 1:1. At higher magnifications or using available darkness for illumination, very very useful. I use a 2-axis Panagor -- looks much like the 2-axis one that Adorama sells but is better made and has more locks -- under my Graphics when shooting one of them very close.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For 6x6 macro I use a bellows mounted 150mm MC Apo Ronar in a Copal Shutter on my Pentacon 6TL or on My ARAX 88CM with MLU

For positioning and focusing I use a ReallyRight Stuff B150-B Macro Focusing Rail.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/index.html
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    With my rb I find the bellows focusing quite convenient for macro. What I sometimes wish I had is a ring flash but I haven't yet located one big enough for my rb lens diams (77mm).

The one thing that made my life much easier with the rb was the metering prism viewfinder. That really helps especially for macro, when you would otherwise have bellows factor to worry about.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I like the convenience of the TTL metering prisms that I use on both my Pentacon 6TL and my ARAX 88CM. I have a variable output LED ringlight that I use for macro lighting.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's a discussion that's pertinent and covers a number of focusing rail options: http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=000Zuq

I use the Bogen 3419 rail and like it a lot. It's low profile, packs easily in the top of a camera bag, and has a threaded rod drive for fine focus (1mm/turn?) with a quick release for fast larger movements. I mostly use mine on the small geared Bogen head with a QR plate, which is really nice for "dialing in" the composition and focus in macro work.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    Here's a discussion that's pertinent and covers a number of focusing rail options: http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=000Zuq

I use the Bogen 3419 rail and like it a lot. It's low profile, packs easily in the top of a camera bag, and has a threaded rod drive for fine focus (1mm/turn?) with a quick release for fast larger movements. I mostly use mine on the small geared Bogen head with a QR plate, which is really nice for "dialing in" the composition and focus in macro work.

Lee
    Your photonet reference does not correctly describe my RRS B150-B Macro Focusing Rail:

With my RRS focusing rail, Gross focusing and composition adjustments can be achieved by sliding the rail within the jaws of the clamp with a movement range of up to 128mm. Fine adjustment is made with the lead screw; the lead screw delivers 1.25mm of travel per full revolution. Total adjustment range is 231mm.

Of course, the RRS unit is compatible with all Arca Swiss type QR clamps.
    Tom Hoskinson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin