Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,776   Online: 1010

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Colored flash? Gives color slides/negs with a color cast. What did you expect?

Shooter
    35mm
    why don't you buy a macro ring flash. you can dind it the 2nd hand in the Ebay.
    I was born and brought up in Iran, a beautiful country full of history.
    k o m b i z z

Shooter
    35mm
    Why the big flash units? SB18's will do the trick. I learned this from John Shaw. As a matter of fact he claims this is the only field flash he considers for macro.

If you havent read his book 'Closeup's In Nature' I highly recommend that you give it a go.

As far as ring flash is concerned, that light is not natural.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Twistytown, Shaw's Closeups In Nature is a couple of chapters of A. A. Blaker's Field Photography with the good teaching removed and padding, poor explanations, and errors added. I have both books. Do you?

There are many ways to accomplish what the OP wanted to do, each with advantages and disadvantages. And more-or-less axial illumination is sometimes very useful, occasionally the only possible.

Shooter
    35mm
    Simple question Dan. Why the attitude?
    You dont need big flash, small flash close in will do the job. The 18s are small units and much easier tote in the field.

Bravo on owning both book!
    I own a slew of books on the subject also.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by spiralcity View Post
    Simple question Dan. Why the attitude?
    <snip>
    Because I don't find flat statements to the effect that "this is the way to do it" helpful. Dogmatism gets in the way of thinking.

In this context, I shoot small objects using Nikons with small flashes attached to brackets that mount on the lens' filter threads. And I shoot small objects using 2x3 Graphics with large flashes (Vivitar 283s + VP1) on a huge bracket attached to the camera body. Also with small flashes on a bracket that goes between lens (front-mounted) and shutter. And with a hand-held large flash.

There are many solutions to the problem. Pushing just one isn't as helpful as it seems.

Cheers,

Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    Well Dan or should I just start callinfg you Damn?

I asked the OP a simple question. A question, do you understand the concept of a question? This was intended for the OP not you.
    The Shaw book was a suggestion, do you understand that concept of a suggestion? Again this was intended for the OP not you.

The post wasnt intended for you.

If you have hard feelings about me disagreeing with you on your macro post I suggest you get over it. It was just my opinion. See things anyway you like dont let my post upset you. It wasnt intended to.

I agree there are many ways to approach macro.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spiralcity View Post
    Why the big flash units? SB18's will do the trick. I learned this from John Shaw. As a matter of fact he claims this is the only field flash he considers for macro.

If you havent read his book 'Closeup's In Nature' I highly recommend that you give it a go.

As I mention, I use a SB-18 for background. I don't want to use them for close in flashes because 1> I want adjustable power instead of gels and 2> I want to use them for slaving in other non macro shots as well.

Yes, I have Shaw's book.

-A

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the reply. I hope Dan and I didnt toss a wrench into this thread. Sorry about any negative fall-out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Loopy, its not your fault but you don't know the context of this and other discussions Anupam and I have had over the last couple of years. No wrenches thrown.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin