Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,929   Online: 852

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    1. Insects, which are are very exotic when viewed up close but otherwise ordinary.[...]In fact I challenge readers to find any macro photo which would be considered more artistic than technically difficult.
    I am not sure what fits this category of "artistic" - black and white, barn doors? What you are saying about insect photography could be applicable to any wildlife photography - do you find any wildlife photography done in color "artistic."

Personally I do both extremes. Nowadays, shooting closeups (mostly insects) is about the only time I shoot color and small format. Everything else is BW medium or large format. I feel I don't try as much to be artistic while shooting insects - perhaps because of the technical challenges that you mention - but they come out quite satsfying nevertheless. Every kind of photography (every kind of art) has its own set of challenges, conventions, rules - entire language games within which they function - taking the language games of barn doors or peppers and imposing it on damselflies is arbitrary. That said, here are a couple of my shots which I quite like as closeups - I did not go out of my way to make them artistic but they came out nice anyway. Now we must decide which language game they fit.

-Anupam

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anupam Basu View Post
    I am not sure what fits this category of "artistic" - black and white, barn doors? What you are saying about insect photography could be applicable to any wildlife photography - do you find any wildlife photography done in color "artistic."
    I think the distinction is quite clear - technical and scientific macro work calls for the maximum amount of factual information in a picture, which in turn calls for high sharpness, deep focus and flat lighting (as does technical photography of any kind). An artistic approach would (or at least could) move away from any or all of these and aim to communicate emotion rather than fact.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    I think the distinction is quite clear - technical and scientific macro work calls for the maximum amount of factual information in a picture, which in turn calls for high sharpness, deep focus and flat lighting (as does technical photography of any kind).
    I thought the first post in this thread was talking about "macro photography" and whether it can be artistic - how does "technical and scientific macro work" come into this? Did I misunderstand the subject under discussion?

-Anupam

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm keenly reading this thread, trying to learn as much about Macro as I can...just got a Kiron 105mm f/2.8 and I think my first task will be to shoot a decent enough photo for my Avatar!

John

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anupam Basu View Post
    I thought the first post in this thread was talking about "macro photography" and whether it can be artistic - how does "technical and scientific macro work" come into this? Did I misunderstand the subject under discussion?

-Anupam
    What I meant was that technical and scientific macro work is meant to be (and is) completely non-artistic (i.e.factual) and therefore uses a certain style, which, however, is not the only possible style - I was suggesting that a different approach could be more artistic.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus 8 View Post
    just got a Kiron 105mm f/2.8
    The first photo in my post above was made with the Vivitar avatar of that lens - I just love its sharpness and smooth out of focus rendition. Also one of the best handling lenses I've owned.

-Anupam

Images

B&W Macro

I've tried to capture some abstract floral shots...here are 3 images of a Datura plant from bud stage to seed pod.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Datura1.jpg   Datura2.jpg   Datura3.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
    I've tried to capture some abstract floral shots...here are 3 images of a Datura plant from bud stage to seed pod.
    Nice work, Mark. I was at a point in my life were I needed some inspiration. Thank you.

Below is a Cicada Killer Wasp who met his demise in my garden. I placed his carcass on a pin, where he dried quite nicely. I took a 8x10 LF camera and added several tiffen close-up lenses and loaded the camera with Ilford MGIV RC paper. I lit the wasp up with a 250W halogen spot light and took the long exposure required to create a good paper negative. The rest was accomplished on the computer. Sadly for the wasp he spent too much time under the spot light and caught fire. A gastly smell. We live and we learn. So, can this be considered artistic macro?
    Last edited by DannL; 02-23-2007 at 09:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Lo único de lo que el mundo no se cansará nunca es de exageración." Salvador Dalí

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DannL View Post
    <snip> So, can this be considered artistic macro?
    No, incompetence passed off as art.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    wasn't technically difficult
    just used a graflex slr with makeshift
    diopters/lenses, raked the bellows all the way out
    and exposed expired film .....

don't know if it (they) are artistic either,
    i was just having fun

john
    Last edited by jnanian; 11-08-2008 at 03:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin