Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,726   Online: 1089

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Now we are getting somewhere. I like these latest examples very much.

Also I was finally able to open Bosaiya's site. Morbid subject material but executed very well.

Regarding the bumbler queen.. i think the pose does a good job of representing exauhstion but I would not use 'defeated' in the title because that could also mean dead.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    Now we are getting somewhere. I like these latest examples very much.

Also I was finally able to open Bosaiya's site. Morbid subject material but executed very well.

Regarding the bumbler queen.. i think the pose does a good job of representing exauhstion but I would not use 'defeated' in the title because that could also mean dead.
    Good point.

Antje

Shooter
    Multi Format
    darinwc
    Yes, as you already said, macro world is out of our normal frame. You cannot read emotions in insects because you had no interest in it. Is it you assumption that they have no emotions? Might be they do not have that quality, but might be they have some other quality. It is you as photographer to discover it. There are out there so many books about insects and they habits and living. Photographer is not shooter but much more, and I hope you are not that digital machine-guner. Discovery…. Believe me, when emotions come in question, people that have such quality are really sooooo rare today in western world, and majority are with totally unpredictable behavior.
    If you have an interest in “macro” photography (I would rather say close up in my case, but it is only name) I think you should make a lot of work and study before you take camera, and I am sure you will change your main.
    Macro world is fascinating and you can make so many photographs not getting out of your backyard. I also believe that, say insects, have much better organized life than humans. We do not understand them, do they understand us? Take it as your chance.

www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Two images in my apug gallery, titled "Liquid Illusion - 1" and "Feather Abstract", are macro shots. The actual image area was about the size of a quarter for each of those shots. Both images make interesting prints when enlarged to 8x8 and 11x11.

SusanK

Shooter
    35mm
    An artistic approach would (or at least could) move away from any or all of these and aim to communicate emotion rather than fact.
    I find that statement to be pure BUNK. Anything captured from the heart is ARTISTIC! Even if it's a technical shot. It dosent matter how you approach the photo it's all in the final result. Beauty is held in our eyes not in technical JARGON.
    A beautiful insect is just as ARTISTIC as a abstract of some sort. Whatever is pleasing to ones eye is ARTISTIC.

Art is as we see it as individuals. You cant define artistic. What may seem artistic to you may be junk to another.

I find this entire thread nonsense.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanK View Post
    Two images in my apug gallery, titled "Liquid Illusion - 1" and "Feather Abstract", are macro shots. The actual image area was about the size of a quarter for each of those shots. Both images make interesting prints when enlarged to 8x8 and 11x11.

SusanK
    Esp like the Liquid Illusion 1. Here's another example in colour http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...24&ppuser=2165
    unfortunately Robert hasn't shown a lot of his very good work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perhaps this may qualify. Leica R4SP either Leica f4 70-210mm Zoom and Nikon 5T closeup lens or Leica f2.8 60mm Macro Elmarit. Kodachrome 64, Exposure NR.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails REDBERRIESENCASEDINICE.jpg  
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A couple macros of mine. Both shot on 4x5 HP5+ and toned (iron blue for one, selenium for the other). Both are roughly 1:1 macro, though the one with the pennies is slightly larger than 1:1.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 72086028.jpg   72879049.jpg  
    Last edited by DrPablo; 09-19-2007 at 10:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Paul

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spiralcity View Post
    I find this entire thread nonsense.
    And I find your standpoint hard to make out. I already described in post #29 the difference between technical and artistic macro photography, believe me, it is VAST. Technical photography aims to convey maximum objective visual information, any personal viewpoint in terms of light and shade, differential focus, departure from neutral color, etc. is absolutely taboo! Feel free to disagree, it would help if you quoted from your personal experience with visual examples.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David -- I agree with what you say, but at the same time it's a statement of the obvious. There is a middle ground. Many people go out with cameras to record what they see, not necessarily to impose art upon it through careful composition, but still with the idea of a photo being 'pretty'. This is somewhat artistic and somewhat documentary, as opposed to technical photography which seeks purely to document.

In this regard, I don't separate macro photography from anything else. Your distinction is like the difference between a police mug shot and an artistic portrait. Different approach for different purposes.
    Paul

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin