Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,960   Posts: 1,558,276   Online: 923

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Artistic macro photography?

Anyone have examples of what they would consider artistic macro photography?

Most macros I have seen fall in two catagories. 1. Insects, which are are very exotic when viewed up close but otherwise ordinary. 2. Small man-made objects, like watches and circut boards. None of the macro photos have stirred an emothional respose in me.

In fact I challenge readers to find any macro photo which would be considered more artistic than technically difficult.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Weston's work. Where can I claim my prize for winning the challenge?
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    For the record I would consider westons peper as too large to be considered a macro, but others may differ.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    ah I see you beat me to it. I havent seen to much of his other work. Anything else on the small scale that is worthwhile?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suggest you look a little harder, try Edward and Brett Weston, Ansel Adams, Paul Caponigro, Ruth Bernard, Michael A. Smith, Paula Chamlee, and Minor White to start. You'll enjoy it. Best. Shawn

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dare I invite you to view one of my own humble efforts?
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...66&ppuser=3714
    Most macro shots are of course done for scientific/technical purposes, but if you can get away from that mindset, I think the macro field has a lot of creative possibilities!

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Felice Frankel:

http://web.mit.edu/felicef/

I am not as enthusiastic about the "Envisioning Science" book as most reviewers (it's very thin, too repetitive of her greatest hits, and padded with half-baked lessons in photography). But, she is an artist in every sense of the word.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    For the record I would consider westons peper as too large to be considered a macro, but others may differ.
    Not the peppers, but his artichokes in particular are taken much closer than the peppers. Weston made a whole salad, not just peppers.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The upcoming issue of Emulsion Magazine is devoted to macro photography. Having seen the proofs, I would highly recommend getting a copy.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check out Karl Blossfeldt`s work. Fantastic botanical macro. Andreas Feininger also produced some very interesting images. Spanish photographer Emili Godez was doing stunning macro work in the 1930`s
    Today I haven`t found many impressive B&W macro photographers, but there`s quite an array of people doing color work. Rosamond Wolff Purcell is a great example.
    Tough challenge.

Peter
    Photos are made four inches behind the camera

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin