Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,873   Online: 956

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    Would this make flash a choice? TTL flash is nice for things like this.
    Nick, I am exploring flash but only manual muti-flash setups - TTL mostly isn't capable of very good results with closeup subjects for a variety of reasons, even with Nikon's extensive flash line.

-Anupam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anupam Basu View Post
    Nick, I am exploring flash but only manual muti-flash setups - TTL mostly isn't capable of very good results with closeup subjects for a variety of reasons, even with Nikon's extensive flash line.

-Anupam
    I'm curious to know what those reasons are. Think you could post a quick article sometime explaining that and how you arrive at a good setup?
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm curious to. How close are we talking?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Anupam, I'm sorry that I've given you the impression that I do macro work with a handheld Graphic. I shoot my Graphics closeup on tripod and 2-axis focusing rail.
    How are you framing and focussing - ground glass?

I'm puzzled by your desire for movements. Remember that swing and tilt are used in situations where it isn't practical to position the camera to make the film plane parallel to the desired plane of best focus. In macro work its usually possible to move the camera or subject to accomplish that. And swing and tilt -- but not rise and shift -- are pretty incompatible with shooting handheld.
    I am not looking to shoot handheld with MF. But as for movements, they will allow me to put the plane of focus as not parallel to the film plane. For example with damsels in 35mm, there is only one plane where the entire body will be in focus. If you want to try something different - like a 3/4 portrait, you have to choose one plane (usually the eye) to be in focus and then play with DOF. This is mostly sufficient, but I am not planning to move to MF for macro for the larger film - it'll only be attractive if it opens up new possibilites. For example, this might be a shot I'd have made differently with a camera with movements. I could have shot from a bit higher up and had the entire body and wings in focus.

Enlarging lenses have to be stopped down manually before exposure, but focusing and composing are best done with the lens wide open. So you're going to have a hard time with mobile subjects if you shoot with an enlarging lens.
    I actually enjoy working with enlarging lenses and have never yet forgotten to stop them down on the F3 or had critters fly away scared by the movement required to do so (though plenty fly away during my first approach with the camera/tripod) even with hoverflies with a working distance of an inch or so.

About putting enlarging lenses in shutter
    Well, this might be too much work - if I do this it'll be for still objects on my Shen Hao.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    And, you don't have to use your enlarger lenses.

PE

Finally, I am NOT looking to get a parallel MF system for macro - so buying macro lenses for Pentax, bronica etc is out.

Just brainstorming about new possibilities for my existing stuff. For the conventional demands of macro photography my F3 based Nikon system is just about perfect and I've spent years suiting it to my needs. Just a little more tweaking with the flash setup and I'll have it exactly right with 35mm.

-Anupam
    Last edited by Anupam Basu; 03-05-2007 at 07:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    I'm curious to. How close are we talking?
    Nick, My reversed 50mms have a working distance of an inch and a half or so at about 2x-4x life size. The 28mm componon even less, but I haven't made any good in-the-field shots with it that I have scanned. But with enough bellows, I think I could get a little more WD with longer lenses.

I am mainly looking at about half to maybe about 4x life size with MF, if I decide to try it out.

-Anupam
    Last edited by Anupam Basu; 03-05-2007 at 08:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Bronica S- or EC- series with the Type 2 bellows (full view camera movements on the front standard) has everything on your list. You can easily adapt enlarging or other lenses to it as well, since the classic Bronicas had a dual mounting system--Bronica bayonet mount and screw mount, to which you could have an adapter ring made. There is also a reversing ring, so you could adapt reversed lenses to that with step up rings to whatever filter thread your reversed lens has.

Is this the perfect macro setup? For things that need an SLR, where you can view the subject up until the instant of exposure, it probably is. A view camera with a leaf shutter lens, though, will have less vibration.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas View Post
    I'm curious to know what those reasons are. Think you could post a quick article sometime explaining that and how you arrive at a good setup?
    Very simply the problems include background illumination and harsh shadows. If using multiple flash setups the additional problem of mutiple specular highlights occurs. With light falloff according to the inverse squares law, when the foreground subject is well lit, the light from a single TTL flash is not enough to light a background more than a few cms away, resulting in black unnatural looking backgrounds. With multiple manual flash setups, one can control the distribution of light much better. I have thus far avoided flash in macro shooting and am just testing out a setup that Dan helped me with on a few other threads.

-Anupam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I happen to have a RolleiFlex SL66 with 80 mm, back, extension tubes, magnifying hood (along with the standard WLF)--perfect for macro---Looking for about $1K---Satisfaction Guaranteed !!
    josburke at bellsouth.net
    Joseph Burke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Bronica S- or EC- series with the Type 2 bellows (full view camera movements on the front standard) has everything on your list.
    Is there a website which explains the Bronica system in some detail. I know of the SQ and ETRS lines but can find very little on how they relate to these older models. Mount, specs etc would be useful.

Thanks,
    Anupam

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anupam Basu View Post
    Is there a website which explains the Bronica system in some detail. I know of the SQ and ETRS lines but can find very little on how they relate to these older models. Mount, specs etc would be useful.

Thanks,
    Anupam
    This is the site--

http://medfmt.8k.com/bronica.html

But it seems to be on some sort of public server these days, so some pages become inaccessible with bandwidth.

The screw mount is 57x1mm and the flange to film distance is 101.7mm, but it is possible for lenses to protrude into the mirror box, thanks to the falling mirror design on the S-series and split mirror on the EC-series. Bronica used to sell screw caps that could be drilled like lensboards so press photographers could adapt their press lenses easily to the system. Today you would just have a simple threaded ring made.

I have the Type 2 bellows, and I also have a Bronica-Canon FD (bayonet to bayonet) adapter, so I can use my Tamron SP 90 Macro and my FD 35/2.8 Macrophoto (and with that adapter, I have a Luminar I can use) on the Bronica. At macro distances they cover. I also have a LTM-FD adapter, so that lets me use enlarging lenses, and I can reverse mount them with a reverse adapter that mounts to the Bronica bayonet. It's a very handy thing.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin