Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,227   Online: 818

Shooter
    Medium Format

Nikon 105mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor Lens

Hi there,

I'm looking at getting a used Nikon 105mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor Lens from ebay. I intend to use it for macro photography and I like the fact that it produces a 1:1 image. Has anyone used this lens? Can you please provide some feedback on how it performs as a macro lens? I've read some pretty good things about it but I'm not sure whether it's worth forking over the extra cash for the latest VR version. Im told the VR function on the later lens is useless when it's being used as a macro lens.

Other than the usual caveats that I am well aware of when buying lenses off ebay, is there anything that I need to look out for specifically?

Thanks and regards.
    Thanasis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When shooting Macro a tripod, in my oppinion, is a must and VR must be shut off when using such. I havn't used the Micro nikor only the Sigma version.
    as for AFD vs the AFS VR Id go for the old version, the VR version is monstrous big, Id say double the size of the AFD version.

Kind regards
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have only used the non-VR version of the 105 and I like it. It performs great as a macro lens and I use it to photograph small details as well as a portrait lens. Mostly because my portraits are being done from across the room.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikon is well known as one of the best maker of macro (micro) lenses. Auto focus is useless for close distance as you aproaching macro range (1:10-1:1). With time you will realize it. However some autofocus Nikkor are better optically that counter manual lens, so it is wise to get autofocus and use it as manual.
    All Nikkor micro lenses are good buy. Take care for turning focusing barrel. It has to be long.
    The best (optically) macro lenses are not up to 1:1 but up to 1:2. Get 1:2 and find a tube or additional lens for front part if you are looking for top quality.

www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I've had this lens for some time and it is an excellent lens. You will not be disapointed. It also works well as a portrait lens as someone else has pointed out.

I am assuming this is the non VR version but I have both the Non VR and VR versions of the Micro Nikkor 105mm AF.
    WJS/wi/usa

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by airgunr View Post
    I've had this lens for some time and it is an excellent lens. You will not be disapointed. It also works well as a portrait lens as someone else has pointed out.

I am assuming this is the non VR version but I have both the Non VR and VR versions of the Micro Nikkor 105mm AF.
    And how does the VR version compare to the non VR version? I've heard that the VR just adds confusion to tripod macro photography. I'm wondering if I should spend a bit more and get the VR. Any thoughts?

Shooter
    35mm
    If your main use will be on the tripod I would NOT get the VR version. The regular 105mm AF Micro Nikkor will work just fine. I would suspect the NON AF version would work very just fine as well but I do not own nor have used the NON AF version so I can't comment on it.

I would consider the VR if you plan on doing a lot of handheld shooting as it does add at least a stop or two.
    WJS/wi/usa

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by airgunr View Post
    If your main use will be on the tripod I would NOT get the VR version. The regular 105mm AF Micro Nikkor will work just fine. I would suspect the NON AF version would work very just fine as well but I do not own nor have used the NON AF version so I can't comment on it.

I would consider the VR if you plan on doing a lot of handheld shooting as it does add at least a stop or two.
    Thanks a lot for the advice.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I ended up buying the latest VR version so that i can use it has a hand-held portrait lens as well. It's also got a 9-bladed diaphragm so i should be able to get smoother bokeh out of it than the older 105 AF. I'll be the guy in Sydney Botanical Gardens tomorrow taking photos of the flowers.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well done, I'm sure you will like it. Be sure to post some photos!

I've kept my Non VR version as it work well on my manual Nikons (Fm2n, FE2 & FA)
    WJS/wi/usa

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin