Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,734   Online: 1028

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Excellent suggestions, guys! Hmmm... Just called our not-quite-local photostore, and they'd sell a Mamiya 120 macro KEH would probably rate as BGN for approximately $200. I could add a M645 from KEH for 300-400... I admit I have absolutely no clue regarding that system. He used to have one, that I know. And it still might leave a little room for small extras.
    I have enough time to get something for him when I'm in the US next time, so I'm not in a hurry and could shop around a little. That's why I need you guys' input so badly.

Antje

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Antje, if you have time and aren't planning a nice surprise that would be spoiled by discussing it with him, why don't you talk things over with your father and then buy gear that will suit him and fit your budget? I mean, there's a world of difference between shooting closeup with a press or view camera and doing the same with a nice convenient SLR. And if he thinks that using an extension tube or two on an SLR is too much, surely he'll hate using a press or view camera.

Cheers,

Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Antje, if you have time and aren't planning a nice surprise that would be spoiled by discussing it with him, why don't you talk things over with your father and then buy gear that will suit him and fit your budget? I mean, there's a world of difference between shooting closeup with a press or view camera and doing the same with a nice convenient SLR. And if he thinks that using an extension tube or two on an SLR is too much, surely he'll hate using a press or view camera.

Cheers,

Dan
    Dan, you see, that's what we *usually* do. Didn't work this time, he expects the big surprise and is just dropping hints. :rolleyes: It's all because of my mom's sudden display of talent.

He actually owns a Canon 20D with a macro lens. But it has to be film and, I think, MF. He's also a little envious of my Hassy. And to admit it: I selfishly loved the 4x5 comment because I've been thinking about that for myself.

Antje

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Antje, why use a M645 for macro? Is there a particular reason? I don't see what it gives you versus the hassie.

Get something with bellows or else you'll need tubes and/or a diopter
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ah, okay, now I see that one can get macro extension bellows for the M645. But it probably won't be easy to find them.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Hi, the Mamiya 120mm macro is a great lens. I have one on a Mamiya 645E and works great and focuses to 1:1. I like the 645E body especially for the adjustable diopter viewfinder.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Antje View Post
    He actually owns a Canon 20D with a macro lens. But it has to be film and, I think, MF. He's also a little envious of my Hassy. And to admit it: I selfishly loved the 4x5 comment because I've been thinking about that for myself.
    4x5 is nice for macro, but the tiny DoF, the cost of film, and the bulk of the gear all mean it may not be the best place to start on a quest to make better macros than one's spouse...

I really like using 6x9 monorails for macro. This is taking a similar approach to working with the larger format, but with a bit more DoF, much lower film costs, and rather more portability. You still have the benefit of a huge choice of lenses, movements, etc.

Just a thought,

Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandicoot View Post
    4x5 is nice for macro, but the tiny DoF, the cost of film, and the bulk of the gear all mean it may not be the best place to start on a quest to make better macros than one's spouse...
    Yeah, but it might be an area I could expand into myself. And maybe it's something my dad wouldn't want to, well, borrow. But on the other hand, I'm quite happy with the Hasselblad and tubes at the moment.

I really like using 6x9 monorails for macro. This is taking a similar approach to working with the larger format, but with a bit more DoF, much lower film costs, and rather more portability. You still have the benefit of a huge choice of lenses, movements, etc.
    Monorails - I think I might have an idea what that is in German, but I'm not quite sure. Do you happen to have a picture? Sorry for my total ignorance.

Antje

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ah, OK, got it - something like the Arca Swiss F! That is probably going to be over the budget, but wow, looks really sweet.

Antje

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Antje:

Does your father have any MF cameras already? If so, we might be able to recommend something compatible with what he already has.

For example, if he owns Mamiya TLR equipment (paricularly a 330), he already has a camera that does macro quite well, and only needs a paramender accessory to make it reasonably easy.

Matt

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin