Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,353   Online: 1055

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree - there's a big difference between a Carolinian forest canopy and the light out in Arizona for example!
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Let's think a bit.

One of the nicest little macro cameras I've ever used was a Linhof Color. Yes, mine was 4x5", but I also have a (cheapish) 6x7 roll film holder.

Combine that with one of the smaller Symmars (100mm or 135mm), and it's one of the cheapest possible solutions for high quality MF macro.

A short Symmar convertible for two reasons: 1) because these were optimised for 1:3, and do really well in the macro range. A dedicated macro lens is better at 1:1, but not at 1:2. 2) The 100 and 135mm symmars are in #0 shutters. That makes it easy to swap the cells and get a lens that is optimised for 3:1! The 150mm, 180mm and 210mm don't allow this, since the #1 shutter is asymmetrical. The next "good one" is the 240mm; in a #2 shutter.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very interesting, Ole. Your news makes me wonder whether the convertible Symmar just a relabeled Componon.

I ask because I'd swear that I've read somewhere in Schneider's propaganda that the Comparon (enlarging Xenar) is optimized for 4x (= 1:4, taking) whereas the equivalent Componon (enlarging Symmar) is optimized for 10x (= 1:10, taking). If so, we'd be better off shooting Componons at distance than convertible Symmars, and Comparons closeup than Symmars or Componons.

Will you please check your information? Given what I think I know, it doesn't seem possible.

FWIW, I got a 105/4.5 Comparon in #0 a while ago and have found that it shoots quite well closeup. So there's another useful lens found. And, as you pointed out, easily reversed for use above 1:1.

I also have a fine dedicated macro lens, a 100/6.3 Neupolar. I have no idea at which magnification it is best, but I do know that its better from 1:8 to 1:1 at f/8, f/11, f/16 than any other lens I've been able to try and that its better from 1:1 to 4:1 wide open than a known good 100/6.3 Luminar. I have the impression that lenses in this class hold their optimizations over a usefully broad range of magnifications.

Cheers,

Dan

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Having tried to shoot bees with macro extension tubes on the Kiev/Arax a week ago I would go for some form of bellows if possible. For stationary objects I use a view camera (or an SX-70). But I presume he is looking for the convenience of a more conventional slr. So what about an Mamiya RB/RZ 67 or a Fuji GX680?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don, having tried to shoot moving subjects -- fish in aquaria, as it happens -- with a Novoflex macro lens head on a Nikon bellows, I came to exactly the opposite conclusion. I've found extension tubes with aperture coupling and the lens' own focusing mount to fine tune magnification much easier to use than lens and camera on bellows.

These days I reserve the bellows, with one exception, for copy stand work and for testing LF lenses' central sharpness as cheaply as possible. The exception is a Minolta Compact Bellows on adapters, which I very very occasionally use on tripod and focusing rail with a 40 or 63 Luminar in the field.

Actually, what the OP's father is trying to do is beat his wife. He can't win.

Cheers,

Dan

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dan,

I was suggesting those two cameras because the design incorporates a bellows, so macro focus can be done without tubes or a separate bellows.

Bruce

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kovacs View Post
    ^^^
    what that guy said!

I'm not certain that a better MF for shooting macros has been conceived than the SL66. Made in Germany, formerly costing as much as a VW, now quite reasonably priced with affordable ($300-500) Zeiss Oberkochen lenses.
    Yikes, Mike, what a beautiful shot!

OK, here is what we did so far: Got him a Palm to help with tube conversions (thanks to an immensely helpful PM I got), and I borrowed him my spare Hasselblad body with a 80 2.8 and a set of tubes. He likes the Hassy so far, but hasnt got much out of that kit, so Im suspecting he is just trying to be nice...

This thread got me thinking in many directions for my own macro photography. Scares my husband because he already sees me flipping through the KEH catalogue again, but, well, he knew what he was getting before he married me!

Thanks.

Antje

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Let's think a bit.

One of the nicest little macro cameras I've ever used was a Linhof Color. Yes, mine was 4x5", but I also have a (cheapish) 6x7 roll film holder.

Combine that with one of the smaller Symmars (100mm or 135mm), and it's one of the cheapest possible solutions for high quality MF macro.

A short Symmar convertible for two reasons: 1) because these were optimised for 1:3, and do really well in the macro range. A dedicated macro lens is better at 1:1, but not at 1:2. 2) The 100 and 135mm symmars are in #0 shutters. That makes it easy to swap the cells and get a lens that is optimised for 3:1! The 150mm, 180mm and 210mm don't allow this, since the #1 shutter is asymmetrical. The next "good one" is the 240mm; in a #2 shutter.
    Aw, nice... Ole, you need to stop giving me ideas.

Antje

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Actually, what the OP's father is trying to do is beat his wife. He can't win.
    True. The only thing I can do is to make sure he has fun trying!

Antje

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Does this apply to the Symmar-S as well? After all, these are convertibles really, they just aren't labelled as such. If it does, then the 150mm Symmar-S is in a size 0 shutter so that can be reversed too. I'll have to experiment with that and see how it compares to my 150mm f9 Apo-Ronar.

And how about the Rodenstock Sironar-N?

Peter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin