Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,890   Online: 1071

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Easy to handle MF macro solution?

Hi all,

My dad's birthday is looming, and I really don't know what to do with him this year. Usually, it's totally simple, he gets something he really wants for his camera, and gives the complete ID and tells us where to get it (love him for that). But this year... It's not only one of the big birthdays, but... Well, I gave my mom something very flat and shiny to make photos with for her birthday, and she's become very very good at photography. Better than my dad, at least at macros. Ouch. Now he wants something nice for macro photography, and it should be MF. Not like he doesn't already have a zoo of cameras at home, but, well, they all have different purposes (you all know what I'm talking about, I'm sure).

Now, owning a Hasselblad and having a spare body, I was thinking about giving that to him and getting him a 80 mm lens and some tubes, but I found that working with tubes is just not for him. So I'm searching for a solution that doesn't exceed our combined budget of $500-700. It should focus down to life size on its own, and I'd be thrilled if it had metering, too. It doesn't have to have interchangeable backs, AF, or anything fancy. TLRs are out too, I'm sure. Mamiya M645, maybe?

If anyone could help me brainstorm, I'd highly appreciate it!

Thanks,

Antje
    Last edited by Antje; 08-31-2007 at 08:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why doesn't he like tubes? Without them you need a "macro" lens which will cost more and I'm not sure they'll reach 1:1 without tubes. You can mount the tube and leave it on if this is a macro only setup.

Pentax 645, a long enough lens plus a tube or two. I think that would fit below your budget. TTL metering plus TTL flash if you want to add the Metz module. If he could live with manual aperture he could get the Kiev 60 tubes and lenses but I don't think with todays prices this will save any money.

If you want built in metering I think the Pentax 645 is the lowest cost option. For comparison the Bronica ETRSI metering prism often costs more then the complete Pentax 645 body,insert and normal lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Antje,

You've defined yourself into infeasibility.

The cheap macro lens for 'blad, the 120/5.6, won't focus close enough. Ihr vater is averse to tubes. So much for 'blad.

Mamiya 645 has a focal plane shutter, i.e., too slow max shutter speed with flash. Also its 80 macro won't go to 1:1 on its own mount and your father is averse to tubes. So much for Mamiya 645.

Same goes for Pentax 67.

But and however the Bronica ETR/ETRS/ETRSI has a 105/4.5 that is in leaf shutter and goes to 1:1 on its own mount. Cheap, too, especially in Euros, at www.keh.com Just remember, 645 isn't that much larger than 35 mm.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The tubes are so easy, though, and the 80mm lens is perfect for 1:1 and larger than life macros.

People like the RB67 for macros if you can handle the size / portability issue.

Another possibility is to get him a 4x5 view camera with at least ~450mm of bellows extension, and a 210mm or 150mm lens. I don't think anything is better than 4x5 for macro -- unless your main subject is moving, i.e. insects.
    Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    But and however the Bronica ETR/ETRS/ETRSI has a 105/4.5 that is in leaf shutter and goes to 1:1 on its own mount. Cheap, too, especially in Euros, at www.keh.com Just remember, 645 isn't that much larger than 35 mm.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan
    The cheap ETR 105mm isn't the macro. Checking KEH right now the macro 105mm starts at over $300. That's most of the budget. Still need to add a camera body,back and finder. Plus shipping. Still no metering.

Does the older 100mm macro make 1:1 without tubes?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPablo View Post
    Another possibility is to get him a 4x5 view camera with at least ~450mm of bellows extension, and a 210mm or 150mm lens. I don't think anything is better than 4x5 for macro -- unless your main subject is moving, i.e. insects.
    If your father is so inclined, I think this is a great approach as well. I bought a Toyo 45CX on closeout for $300 and you can easily find a used 150mm lens for under $200. That would leave enough of your budget for lens board, film holders, etc. If you absolutely have to have a roll film camera, the RB/RZ cameras are probably closest to what you want. Bellows focusing, whether MF or LF, is really great for macro. Good luck.

Peter
    If you can't answer a man's argument, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names.
    - Elbert Hubbard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wow, guys, I really like the 4x5 suggestion. Might get one for myself...

Oh no. Now you've done it.

Antje

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yup any bellows-focusing camera like the RB or a 4x5 will work well. I have done some macro with a Nikkor 120 AMED on an old crown graphic, using a closeup diopter. Fun combination and very light and easy to take into the field. The RB is much heavier but for macro that is somehting that you quickly learn to love: stability! Also the nice thing about the RB is that you can use a metering prism so then you can just forget the bellows factor calculations.

Let me also suggest that a good diopter on the hassie may be a very simple solution. Especially if you are stopped down to f/22 or more then there is little (if any) performance penalty.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    The cheap ETR 105mm isn't the macro. Checking KEH right now the macro 105mm starts at over $300. That's most of the budget. Still need to add a camera body,back and finder. Plus shipping. Still no metering.

Does the older 100mm macro make 1:1 without tubes?
    Uh, Nick, I said 105/4.5. And $300 from $700 leaves a bit for body, finder, and back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How fast is the old non-macro 105mm?

Considering the cost of the AEIII finder $700 ends up covering the macro PE lens and the finder.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin