Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,801   Online: 971

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    35mm

macro

I've been using my medical nikkor since the 70's still working great. There are two available, I have the older one. None better for extreme macro. My Metz potato masher works great for middle macro with my 55mm nikkor with the head next to the lens and a white card on the other side.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey, Dan!

Can we also curse EKCo for dropping Panatomic-X?
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Here's a book I'd recommend picking up:

The Nature Photographer's Complete Guide To Professional Field Techniques, written by John Shaw. ISBN # is 0-8174-5006-8 . There's a section in this book that discusses ring flashes and other closeup rigs. Specifically John Shaw's homemade "Butterfly" bracket. Well worth the read.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 50/1.4 AI, 80-200/4.5 AI, 85/1.8 K, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format

Yashica Dental Eye!!!

I /severely/ reccomend a Yashica Dental Eye (I have a III. I got one a year or so ago for $50 from a dentist, hadn't been used more than a few times. Has an amazing 100mm f4 lens with ringflash; 2 or all 3 elements (or none) possible to fire for various effect. You can get them on ebay $75-150; they come in a real cool case, too.

Only drawback is the thing's pretty automatic (not focus of course!); only adjustments possible are +- 2 stop exposure; the shutter and aperture are auto. Fixed lens. Plus film speed is DX only. But with the high light you get a pretty good DOF, plus a real interesting 'chromium' relief look that has to be seen to be appreciated. (I shoot stuff like leaves, mosses, plant parts with this).

Farthest focus is about 2m - there's youtr infinity for macro! I think it might make a decent portrait lens, actually (flash off!).

I don't feel the need for any other ringflash setup with this; it's perfect for me.

Robert J. Liebermann
    photos: http://rjl.us/photo
    Eureka Alaska/Vermillion Michigan USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dental Eye II is excellent for Macros and good for portraits too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin