Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,530   Posts: 1,572,477   Online: 1100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30mm macro?

Shooter
    35mm

30mm macro?

I've seen the news that Sony has a 30mm macro lens either coming out or came out. But, I can't help but wonder, what would you use it for? To me, long the better, not wider!
    Film and digital; best of both worlds. JapanesePhotos.Asia.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depends what format it's being made fore, Sony don't make film cameras, 30mm on the Sony SLR's would be the digital equivalent of a 50mm macro lens on 35mm.

Macro lenses come in various forms and it really depends what's being photographed, some are longer than a standard lens 80/90mm, others 50/60mm, while for more extreme close up they can be shorter still 28mm/40mm, any shorter and they tend to be called Micro lenses. I've used an 8mm Micro lens on a Pentax for scientific work.

Ian

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    30mm on a full frame A900 would be 30mm, Ian....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The shorter the focal length, the more magnification you get for any given length of extension. I use Zuiko 20 and 38mm on bellows, the working distance is very very small, but the magnification is very very high.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne naughton View Post
    This lens will be 30mm on the full frame A900, but will give you a round picture. It's an APS lens, just like there are Canon/Nikon lenses specifically for APS cameras. The equivalent to 135 is 45mm IIRC.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne naughton View Post
    Only when the 30mm is designed for a full frame camera

The APS version may still be usable on a full frame on extension tubes/bellows as coverage increases as the extension is increased.

Ian

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Whoops.... my mistake..... grin.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No mistake.
    A 30 mm is a 30 mm is a 30 mm. No matter how small or large the format, and not matter whether it fills that format or not.

Especially when macro is concerned, a lens' focal length matters more than an angle of view.
    Try to do 1:1 with a 1200 mm lens. Very, very hard. No matter whether on APS or on 8x10".
    Try to do 10:1 with a 30 mm lens. Easy! On APS, Full frame 35 mm format, MF, LF.

Shooter
    35mm
    Actually, slightly off topic, but thinking about the difference between APS-C and 35mm, has there ever been any APS-C (film) slr's made? If not, why not?
    Film and digital; best of both worlds. JapanesePhotos.Asia.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winjeel View Post
    Actually, slightly off topic, but thinking about the difference between APS-C and 35mm, has there ever been any APS-C (film) slr's made? If not, why not?
    Yes there were several, but they never quite caught hold, partly I suspect because the full array of films available for 35 mm never made it to APS.

DaveT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin