Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,763   Posts: 1,484,041   Online: 1246

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

4x5 macro work and closeup lenses

Hi,
    i am using a 120 rodenstock macro lens.
    When using it at 3:1 i loose 6 stops of light.

Is there someone who did a test between using a closeup lens together with a macro and only using a macro lens? I would like to know if there is a quality drop when using a close up lens. At this moment i do not own a closeup lens, so I can't test it...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used close up lenses on 35mm & 120 and there's a definite drop in quality, it's not so bad if stopped down well.

A shorter macro lens will require less extension, you could try an 80mm enlarger lens.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    with the 120 macro and an extra bellow in between i can get to about 74cm extension. So 5:1 is possible. With a closeup, i could get further...

most enlarger lenses do not go further than F 32/45. The macro goes to F64.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is also varying quality among close-up (diopter) lenses. The vast majority are single elements. Some are achromats (doublets) and perform to a higher standard. The Nikon 3T and 4T (in 52mm) and 5T and 6T (in 62mm) are designed for use with lenses with focal lengths between 80mm and 200mm. 3T and 5T are +1.5 diopter. 4T and 6T are +3 diopter.

Leica makes a number of close-up lenses which are well corrected doublets and designed for specific focal length ranges. You can probably find a chart for them online. They are called Elpro and came in older roman numeral designations, and newer arabic number designations in 55mm mounts. I don't have all the info on these. Elpro 1 and 2 are for 50mm lenses, Elpro 3 for 90-200mm lenses, and Elpro 4 for 100-200mm lenses. Leitz recommends stopping down to at least f:5.6 for higher quality.

I think that some of the better filter makers and camera makers also made doublet diopters, but don't have specific info. The doublets are usually thicker and have a noticeably wider edge on the mounting ring.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can achieve higher magnifications if you can find a way of reverse mounting your 120mm lens. Failing that, mount one of your enlarging lenses.

Ken
    Quando omni flunkus moritati (R. Green)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KenS View Post
    You can achieve higher magnifications if you can find a way of reverse mounting your 120mm lens. Failing that, mount one of your enlarging lenses.

Ken
    i think that is possible. I use a cambo lensboard with an adapter for linhof lensboards. Only firing will be an problem, but with these times i also can use a hood.

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you want to get adventurous you can reverse an enlarging lens mounted in a copal shutter. There are adapter rings for such a task. I recently obtained the adapters but haven't had a chance to play with them yet.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any chance that you could borrow some Luminars?
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie Jan View Post
    Hi,
    i am using a 120 rodenstock macro lens.
    When using it at 3:1 i loose 6 stops of light.

Is there someone who did a test between using a closeup lens together with a macro and only using a macro lens? I would like to know if there is a quality drop when using a close up lens. At this moment i do not own a closeup lens, so I can't test it...
    6 stops at 3x is a quite a lot. That lens must be a very asymmetric tele-construction.

Anyway,
    Yes, while you don't lose light (as much) when putting close-up lenses on a lens to shorten its focal length, there is a price to pay for that. Using close-up lenses (whether on a regular or macro lens) produces a significant drop in quality.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie Jan View Post
    most enlarger lenses do not go further than F 32/45. The macro goes to F64.
    While that may seem important, it isn't.

Stopping down more will increase DoF more. True. But the increase is from "nothing" to "next to nothing".
    You will still need to change your way of thinking about how to get everything in focus that must be in focus. DoF will not be the solution.

What stopping down in (futile) attempts to get everything inside DoF will achieve is a rather huge drop in image quality.
    Even the best, special purpose lenses (like Luminars) should only be stopped down moderately to maintain image quality at an acceptable level.

So a good thing, in a way, that stopping down will not produce enough DoF anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin