Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,465   Online: 817

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Macro Noob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    While it's a bit hard with an X-700, I find that off-camera flash is the greatest thing when doing macro. You can go completely handheld and it doesn't matter if the camera is moving when the shutter goes off as long as your plane of focus is right. And you can shoot happily at f/16 in the dimmest light.

If you have a recent AF minolta like a 5 or a 7 (I assume other brands too though extra dongles or cables might be required), they support wireless auto-exposure flash and it works very very well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    [...] (no help at all with flowers on a windy day, but then again, nothing really helps then... )
    Sometimes a clear windscreen helps. Depends on how big the flower bearing plant is.
    A few sticks, a clear plastic foil, and you can set up a shield around the thingy. The plastic rolls up, the sticks bunch up, and all packs away without taking up much space.

But only sometimes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why on earth complicate matters by choosing such a difficult technique? Your project is shallow DOF, 100/105mm is ideal portrait focal length. If it was my project I'd shoot faces @ f4.5 in available light. The film you are currently using will be ideal. BTW, close-up and macro photography are my prefered subjects but I use macro flash units which eliminates many of the forementioned problems. Keep it simple, don't do more than is being asked of you, after all, the next project might be c/u and macro pics.
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you have a normal lens (50mm). If so shoot it wide open. Use a tripod if you have one. You don't have to go to the nursery. How about shooting down the edge of a book, your tooth brush, down the side of a wall, your hand, a stalk of celery, your pet, your parent, your girl/boy friend. Don't need to leave your house. Bill Barber

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin