Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,332   Posts: 1,537,370   Online: 1116

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macro Noob

Shooter
    Multi Format

Macro Noob

OK - got the camera: Minolta X-700

got the lens: Kiron 28-105mm f3.2-4.5 MACRO 1:4

I've been shooting B&W film with the X-700 for about 30 days now.
    Primarily Delta 400, but some HP5+. The closest I've come to shooting macro is at the local nursery shooting flowers with a 28mm.

I've been given a shallow depth of field class assignment. I thought I'd try shooting macro.

Although not ideal, I'd like to try shooting with this lens hand held if that's possible. Tripod's not an issue but what-if the only lens you have on the camera is a macro lens sans the tripod? I was thinking of maybe going back to the nursery. Get an idea what the potential is hand-held.

Also, are there any B&W films that are particurily suitable to macro photography? I was thinking of maybe shooting at a slower ISO, Fujifilm Acros

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    MACRO = TRIPOD! TRIPOD! TRIPOD! TRIPOD!

Why do work that is not quite up to snuff. Get your tripod out!
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post

And pray that there isn't a wind, if you are shooting flowers out of doors.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Just so there's another opinion: I have shot lots of flower macros (documenting the wife's gardening efforts) over the years handheld with ISO 100 slide film. A tripod is always nice, but not always necessary.

Now, having said that, I use a tripod or even a copy stand for a lot of indoor macro stuff, but outside in bright sunlight, it's possible to handhold.

I wouldn't say that any particular film is better for macro than your other shots with the same camera. You might prefer a different film due to the subject matter, but not to the "macro" part per say.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Even though you can handhold for macro shots, I find that usually I get better shots when I use a tripod. But that's just me.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You may find that even at f/22, the depth of field is surprisingly shallow. If you are in blistering sunshine, that's [possibly] OK handheld, assuming the subject is still. Soon you'll understand why there is more than one recommendation for a tripod [or something to rest the camera upon]. Even steadying on top of a board, on a towel, helps immensely.

Shooter
    Multi Format

OK - so I'l try it both ways. I'll make sure to take along the tripod and I'll try shooting without the tripod.

I'll probably go in a few minutes to try hand-held shots -- see what happens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I almost always use a tripod. When I cant get close enough to the ground, I switch to a beanbag(stuffed with rice). At very close range, the slightest movement looks like an earthquake, and leaves you with a blurred image.
    Rick

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Oh, and for the record, I seldom use a tripod. But there are times where it proves absolutely necessary. I have simply reached the point where I don't have to follow all the rules anymore if I don't feel like it. I keep telling my wife 'You're not the boss'a me!' Yeah, right.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll add my two cents here... If you have the camera, the lens and the tripod, and are going to be doing some serious macro shooting on an ongoing basis, I would strongly recommend a focusing rail. Even a simple single axis rail gives you so much flexibility in choosing your exact focal point... and they are dirt-cheap on the 'bay. (no help at all with flowers on a windy day, but then again, nothing really helps then... )

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin