Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,214   Online: 919

Thread: Close-focus fun

Shooter
    Multi Format

Close-focus fun

I have several Olympus OM camera bodies and a number of Zuiko lenses to go with them.

Very recently, I purchased a (Zuiko) Olympus OM 2X-A Teleconverter and have been having some close-focusing fun with it, using a Zuiko 2.8/100 lens, giving a 1:2 magnification.

What is great about this combination is that unlike, say a 50 or a 100mm Macro lens or a prime lens-extension tube combination, there is no loss of minimum focus distance nor of infinity focus, so one can (say with the TC+ a 100mm prime lens combination) maintain a reach of 1 metre (or more), whilst still having a magnification of 1:2 (or progressiviely less, if reaching out further). It also blurs the background beautifully, bringing the subject to the fore (much more so than with, say, a 50mm 1:2 magnification Macro lens.)

Is there anyone else using a TC for close-up use?

BTW, here's someone who does: http://www.tonywublog.com/20090109/u...for-macro.html
    Last edited by Galah; 03-01-2010 at 12:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    It's a good idea for exactly the reason you mentioned. But usually it is difficult to reach 1:2 with this method because this requires that the lens already achieves 1:4 without converter. You say, your 100mm lens focuses to one meter? That should yield a magnification of about 1:8. With a 2x converter you would get a maximum magnification of 1:4. Are you using some additional accessories like diopters or extension tubes or how do you get 1:2?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Galah View Post
    What is great about this combination is that unlike, say a 50 or a 100mm Macro lens or a prime lens-extension tube combination, there is no loss of minimum focus distance nor of infinity focus, so one can (say with the TC+ a 100mm prime lens combination) maintain a reach of 1 metre (or more), whilst still having a magnification of 1:2 (or progressiviely less, if reaching out further). It also blurs the background beautifully, bringing the subject to the fore (much more so than with, say, a 50mm 1:2 magnification Macro lens.)
    What you say above isn't really correct.

The OM Zuiko range of Macro lenses includes 3 lenses (50mm f/3.5 macro, 50mm f/2 macro and 90mm f/2 macro) that will all focus between 1:2 and Infinity so these three lenses can be used as macro lenses and as a normal lens.

The "bellows" lenses can't be used like this but they will provide 1:1 and higher magnification which you can't get with the former 3 lenses I've mentioned.

Anyway, I recommend getting hold of an OM Zuiko 50mm f/3.5 Macro, as they are cheap, and also excellent as a standard lens. Like you say, it's great to have the ability to close focus and still have infinity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Joachim_I View Post
    It's a good idea for exactly the reason you mentioned. But usually it is difficult to reach 1:2 with this method because this requires that the lens already achieves 1:4 without converter. You say, your 100mm lens focuses to one meter? That should yield a magnification of about 1:8. With a 2x converter you would get a maximum magnification of 1:4. Are you using some additional accessories like diopters or extension tubes or how do you get 1:2?

Aaargh, damn! I see I've made a mistake about the actual magnification. I got confused (another elderly moment) Mea culpa

However, there is some effect and its useful.
    Last edited by Galah; 03-01-2010 at 07:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by timk View Post
    What you say above isn't really correct.

The OM Zuiko range of Macro lenses includes 3 lenses (50mm f/3.5 macro, 50mm f/2 macro and 90mm f/2 macro) that will all focus between 1:2 and Infinity so these three lenses can be used as macro lenses and as a normal lens...Anyway, I recommend getting hold of an OM Zuiko 50mm f/3.5 Macro, as they are cheap, and also excellent as a standard lens. Like you say, it's great to have the ability to close focus and still have infinity.
    Thanks, I already have the excellent 3.5/50 macro, but its not very handy for taking water lillies away from the edge of the pond. This works better (for this purpose).

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Can happen :-) Don't let it destroy your fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Of course, you can always remove the glass from the lens barrel, and use it for an auto extension tube. I have an extra 2x with a C/Y mount I've done that with, 25mm extension, and depending on lens coupled with it, I can get 4:1 or other variations. I wish I had one for my OM's, I also did it with a M-42 2x tele I had laying around. BTW, keep track of how it comes apart, and you can reinstall the glass, and have dual purpose.

Rick

Shooter
    35mm

Close-focus fun

It can often be helpful to have more working distance from your subjet when shooting close-ups. If the light is good and I don't need the extra distance I like to use the 50/3.5 Zuiko. For getting all the way to 1:1 without an additional tube the 55/2.8 Vivitar is handy. I have two of these. My favorite longer lens for close-ups must be the 138/2.8 Vivitar Close Focusing. It gets to 1:2 by itself. In OM mount I have a 90/2.8 Vivitar macro and in interchangeable mount I have a 90/2.5 Tamron SP (2nd version). If I need to get even closer I have an Olympus Auto Bellows as well as various extension tubes and teleconverters. Teleconverters are helpful in increasing magnification. The drawback is that you lose light as well as some image quality.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin