Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,808   Posts: 1,581,505   Online: 1086

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macro Flash

Shooter
    35mm

Macro Flash

I've recently acquired two Nikon SB-15 speedlights ($20 each!) that I want to use for macro work, mounted on either side of a lens. These units have an MD mode that cuts the power quite a bit for quick recycling. According to my flash meter, I should be able to shoot at f/11 (effectively f/22) on ASA 100 film when focused at a 1:1 ratio.

I'll probably use it on an F or F3 body with an adapted Mamiya 50mm ZE macro lens but I might also use it with the RB67.

At any rate I'm looking for suggestions on mounting hardware for hand-held or tripod use. I know brackets for this purpose were once made...

Also I was planning on syncing the flashes with a PC-socket y-cord, but I am so far unable to locate such a cable. I know Nikon used to make TTL cables for this purpose... but I don't really need TTL. Any ideas?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi there,
    If you are ok shooting totally manual flash, then sync one flash off the camera and have a photo-cell linked to the pc socket of the other flash - this will be triggered by the flash form the first gun. Not many trailing cords this way! I think that Metz still produce/sell a unit, they may even have some options for two-headed flash bar. Manfrotto has a wide range of camera/flash/lighting supports including flexible arms (not cheap) that are the bees knees.
    Sim2.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You're probably looking for something like the Lepp Bracket, of which Manfrotto makes a version--

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...h_Bracket.html

There are probably also options from Kirk Enterprises and Really Right Stuff that would work for you, probably better, probably more expensive.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An option for mounting macro lighting I used many years ago was to pull out my boyhood Meccano set. It also made my first roller base for processing EP/s2 in tubes. Oops I'm showing my age.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think my Erector Set got donated to The Salvation Army many years ago... but that is a good idea. I think a visit to a hardware store is in order.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Manfrotto/Bogen 3278 macro bracket flash will work. It is adjustable and holds two shoe mount flash heads (one of which could be on a slave). The Nikon cable I believe you are referring to is the SC-17.
    Hope this helps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are(were) adapters made to connect two flashes with a cube that fit the hot shoe & the PC ords plugged into. BUT...the sync voltage is additive so depending on the voltage of each flash you may have some problems. The F camera should be OK but I would be hesitant to use the F3.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you can get the flashes to fire don't worry, I measure the sync voltage of my SB-15 and it's only 4V.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think I'm just going to get the Bogen bracket at some point. Nikon specifically states the SB-15 is compatible with the F3 so no worries there (no TTL either but that's not important).

Shooter
    35mm
    I made my own bracket out of particle board using The Maual Of Close-Up Photography (1979 Lester Lefkowitz) as a guide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin