Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,936   Posts: 1,585,621   Online: 750

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Favorite macro lens for canon Ef mount?

I currently have the 60mm canon on my digital. I LOVE this lens. It is amazing. It is Ef-s so will not work on my ElanII. What is your favorite EF lens for canon slr?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While I don't have the newer Canon, I do love my Canon 100 FD lens.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    It depends on what kind of macro you like. The 100mm is great for insects while a shorter focal length may be more useful for other situations. None of the Canon-made lenses has any real disadvantages except the price.

I currently have the Tamron 60mm/2 DiII which is also made for APS-size sensors, but only shows vignetting when focused to large distances. It's great for it's price, but not ideal for 35mm film cameras since it doesn't go to 1:1 with the larger negative - not the right thing for taking pictures of insects' eyes, but good enough for flowers or tabletop macros. It's main advantage is the big aperture and great sharpness from f/3,5 upwards. My personal recommondation for everyone who uses both the digital and analog EOS-system.

Also, Yay for Elan II(e)! Love the camera

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the info!

For macro, I am always at 1:1. I mostly photog snowflakes and frost and water drops. So, yeah, I want that 1:1.

The Netherlands, close to the Belgian border
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I own only one macro lens, so I guess that has to be my favourite: the 100mm EF (the "regular" 2.8 USM, no L, no IS). The added bonus is that it's nice as a "normal" 100mm lens as well. The same (mutatis mutandis) is probably true for the 50mm, but since I had a 50mm prime already, I thought this was a better addition to my set. I haven't really looked at the 180mm or the very specific MP-E 65 (if 1:1 is the minimum you want).

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't own one (yet) but I have read many favorable reviews of the Tamron 90 mm macro for EF mount which is a little easier on the wallet. There is now an IS version which costs more and may or may not be as good optically.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kraker View Post
    I own only one macro lens, so I guess that has to be my favourite: the 100mm EF (the "regular" 2.8 USM, no L, no IS). The added bonus is that it's nice as a "normal" 100mm lens as well.
    I agree---I've got the same lens (the non-USM version; the optics are the same) and I absolutely love it. I use it mainly for bug hunting; snowflakes and water drops don't run away so easily, so it ought to work even better for the OP. :-)

Get it together with the Kenko extension tube set and you can really go overboard with magnification.

The same (mutatis mutandis) is probably true for the 50mm, but since I had a 50mm prime already, I thought this was a better addition to my set.
    I got the 50/2.5 "compact-macro" a few years ago and got some good use out of it; I still think it's a sharper lens than the 50/1.8 (which itself is quite decent), but it's limited as a macro lens because of close working distances and the limitation to 1:2, and a bit limited as a general-purpose lens by its antiquated autofocus (and awkward ergonomics for manual focus). It's an excellent compromise lens, but I don't think it's a huge winner as a *dedicated* macro.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a "dedicated system" for macro: schneider componon-s 80/4 (enlarger lens)+M39-EF adapter+chinese bellows+EOS 50E(bought also the camera since it was dirty cheap)-everything put together was about 200 euros and it works amazingly well! never wished again to own a "proper" macro lens!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    90mm Tamron, it's superb. As is an Adaptal lens the mount means sweeet FA

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    I have the Tamron 90mm 2.8. I bought it mostly for shooting on my 5d mkii, but it now lives on my Elan IIe in the passenger seat of my car. The autofocus feels a little janky compared to my USM lenses, but I find the manual focus far easier to use than the canon flavor. In all, I think it is probably one of the best values for sharpness in any modern EF mount.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin