Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,162   Online: 708

Thread: tominon lenses

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

tominon lenses

Has anyone used the Tominon lenses for copy work with 4x5 film and if so what lens and how well do they work?
    Denise Libby

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think(IIRC) most of the Tominon's were on Polaroid copy cameras. Never used one, but I've seen quite a few of the copy cameras sell on (ebait and switch). I suppose they would work.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rick is correct, they were used on the Polaroid MP4 copy cameras. So should work very well in your application.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have one of the 75's. It is a lovely little lens that I can't think of a single thing to do with. I guess it could be handy for 4x5 macro work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't used Tominon lenses specifically for copy work but I have tested the 135/4.5 for resolution at approx 1m. It seems there are many alternatives (enlarger lenses) with better resolution (both centre and edge).

See this link for the comparison images.

JJ
    Last edited by jjphoto; 09-30-2011 at 08:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    i have and have used a 127 4.7 for both general copywork
    as well as regular old photography.
    even at infinity it covers a 4x5 sheet of film fine ...
    there are always reports that the 127 won't cover a 4x5 negative
    but mine was sold to me on a speed graphic back in the 1980s
    ( i bought the camera at ep levines in boston ) ...
    great little lens usually found in a self cocking prontor press shutter
    so the only drawback i have found the lens is that the shutter only goes
    to 1/125thS ...
    all that said, for copy work i would rather use a gclaron ( it screws right into the same shutter )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John, I don't know why, but the 127/4.7 Tominon as sold in #1 Copal Press for, e.g., Polaroid CU-5 and DS-34, is much better at distance than the MP-4 135/4.5 Tominon. Years ago I bought a CU-5 one for the shutter, tried it out on a 2x3 Graphic, and was so pleased by it that I put it in my out-and-about kit. I can't speak to its usefulness on 4x5, but its great on 2x3.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin