Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,621   Online: 989

Shooter
    Medium Format

Bellows Extension, Reciprocity Failure and Development Compensation

Am I correct that, when one extends exposure time due to bellows extension and then extends exposure time again due to film reciprocity failure, the recommended reduction of development time is intended to offset increased contrast arising from reciprocity failure (and not from bellows extension). I ask because this morning I extended an exposure to 2 minutes due to bellows extension, but did not compensate for reciprocity failure (as I was using Acros film). I would like to confirm that I don't need to reduce development time in this case, as I believe that bellows extension alone should not increase contrast.

Also, what are the general guidelines for how much to reduce development time to compensate for reciprocity failure?

Many thanks for your help,
    Leo
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just to clarify, I understand how to compensate for bellows extension and how to compensate for reciprocity failure. I'm seeking guidance on how development time needs to be adjusted, if at all, where either or both of these occur. My understanding is that (i) increasing exposure time to counteract reciprocity failure will result in increased image contrast and (ii) reducing development time will offset that increased contrast. I'm trying to understand that relationship.

Ian, thanks for the PM, it was very helpful.

Leo
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 36cm2 View Post
    Am I correct that, when one extends exposure time due to bellows extension and then extends exposure time again due to film reciprocity failure, the recommended reduction of development time is intended to offset increased contrast arising from reciprocity failure (and not from bellows extension). ...
    You are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by 36cm2 View Post
    ... Also, what are the general guidelines for how much to reduce development time to compensate for reciprocity failure? ...
    See attached, but these are theoretical values. In practice, the contrast increase is not as high as exposure differences would indicate. I've never figured out why that is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reciprocity.jpg  
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ralph, you are THE MAN! Greatly appreciated.

Leo

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin