Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,557   Posts: 1,573,287   Online: 949

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keep it simple, go for a tripod!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At 1:1 your angle of view is one-half that of infinity. Your shakes will be twice as noticeable. You will use a shutter speed twice as quick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    At 1:1 your angle of view is one-half that of infinity. Your shakes will be twice as noticeable. You will use a shutter speed twice as quick.
    Ic, tremor is only part of the problem. Subject movement is also a killer because of motion blur (flash eliminates this) and movement of the plane of best focus, sometimes of the whole subject, between the time the decision to shoot is made and the time the shot is taken.

Most of my flower shots on 2x3 -- usually taken with a 2x3 Graphic on focusing rail on tripod and, yes, flash lighting -- fail because the plane of best focus moves between the time I finish focusing and composing and the time I take the shot. Remember, I have to close the leaf shutter, stop down (not necessary with all of my shutters), insert the film holder, and pull the dark slide before I can shoot. Wind is a killer.

Most of my flower shots on 24x36 -- usually taken with a Nikon SLR and flash -- come out because little time elapses between focusing and composing and shooting. Shots of fish that won't stop moving -- same gear -- often fail because I'm not quick enough/don't anticipate where the subject will be etc. well enough.

From my perspective most of the posts in this thread have an other-worldly air. I can't help wondering how many of the posters have done much closeup work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    I Subject movement is also a killer
    Good point.

A human runner at 6 meters could cross the entire angle of view of a 50mm lens in about one second.

With that same lens at 1:1, and ant traveling at 0.1 meters/second will also travel across the entire field of view in about a second, thus requiring the same shutter speed to stop the human runner.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 08-07-2011 at 11:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Good point.

A human runner at 6 meters could cross the entire angle of view of a 50mm lens in about one second.

With that same lens at 1:1, and ant traveling at 0.1 meters/second will also travel across the entire field of view in about a second, thus requiring the same shutter speed to stop the human runner.
    Not if you smack him with a shoe. The pic becomes more of an abstract though
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Not if you smack him with a shoe. The pic becomes more of an abstract though
    LOL thanks, I needed that this morning!
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    35mm
    at 1:1, 105mm f/2.8, i usually get away with 1/60th of a second. dont let the naysayers get you down. keep you eye on the moving focus and be aware of the direction of your shaking before you press the shutter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keep it simple get a tripode
    Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well here are some pictures from the macro shots, no tripod or flash, IIRC these are at 1/500. Seems pretty alright to me, except that subject motion is another factor I have to consider and the compensation when going to 1:1. Is there a Macro lens that stays pretty much in one aperture, say f2.8, even when it goes to 1:1?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most(all?) macro lenses are fixed maximum aperture.
    What changes at 1:1 is the extension between the optics and the film. You lose two stops and there's nothing that can be done. It's a law of physics, AKA science stuff. Also, if you break the law, you may get a ticket.;P

So, Tripod for stability or light(to use a higher shutter speed.) to stop subject movement.
    This one will work too. build a wind break to put around the subject. A diffuse cloth and four pieces of dowel to stick in the ground.
    For one side those corrugated plastic sign that are all over the roadside..cheap, but it's illegal to just take them.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin