Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,709   Online: 1141

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ha! How I wish the law of physics can be broken. ) The wind break is a nice idea, I had a hard time picturing a spider because it kept swaying in the wind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Those crappy signs on the roadside offer the universal stick-it-in-the-ground holder upper thing too.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It seems odd that nobody (as far as I can tell) has asked what your preferred subject is or where you want to shoot. It makes a tremendous difference.

(Shot on a Crown Graphic, 150mm lens, 6x9 back, tripod mounted in studio, with flash, maybe around half-size on the film, heavily cropped scan).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdEye View Post
    Is it doable for somebody with shaky hands (me) to shoot macro handheld? I know I should get a tripod, but I don't have one yet. I was trying to shoot some stuff using a 55mm and when it goes to 1:1, the shaking is noticeable in the viewfinder. I used a shutter speed of 1/500, will that do? What might be the lowest shutter speed to use without necessary blur?
    I have uncommonly steady hands, and I cannot handhold a camera at 1;1 and get acceptable results at any shutter speed, including 1/2000 second.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    I have uncommonly steady hands, and I cannot handhold a camera at 1;1 and get acceptable results at any shutter speed, including 1/2000 second.
    I bought my F100 to take advantage of my FX VR lens. I am definitely getting older and not steadier.

But.... there is no substitute for a tripod.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used a flash with a duration down to 1/32000 sec handheld at close distances, it does work pretty well.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is it doable for somebody with shaky hands (me) to shoot macro handheld? I know I should get a tripod, but I don't have one yet. I was trying to shoot some stuff using a 55mm and when it goes to 1:1, the shaking is noticeable in the viewfinder. I used a shutter speed of 1/500, will that do? What might be the lowest shutter speed to use without necessary blur?
    the new photoshop'camera-shake filter may work for you!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    there is no reason not to have a tripod or at leat a monopod
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use a ring flash and have zero problems with sharpness and it allows me to use a small F stop to maximize depth of field.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    that ,of course depends on the individual. the 1/f rule is a good start but often inadequate. I tested it for me and came up with1/f*2. here is a simple way to test:
    get one of these mini mag flashlights.take the front lens off and expose the tiny bare bulb.Then in a darkened room take pictures of it with your lens at a reasonable distance with several sutter speeds.investigate the negatives or the files to see at what shutter speed the bare bulb is not a blurry trail anymore. I suspect you'll surprised how much shaky hands influence sharpness. I very much advocate a tripod or at least a monopod, which surprised mehow much it helps to stabilize a camera.they cost little and help a lot.it can easilyadd a stop or two.and let's not forget that when using a flash, the flash duration becomes the exposure time!can't beat that with a stick.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin