Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,369   Online: 1102

Shooter
    35mm

Alpa Macrostat: Is There a Market For This Stuff?

I have a whole bunch of Alpa Macrostat components. For those of you who don't know, the Macrostat system offered by Alpa for use with their cameras was a collection of modular hardware and adapters used for close-up (macro) photography and microphotography using microscopes. This equipment is from my father's estate: he a was a huge Alpa fan, and a devoted collector of all things made by Alpa. I have a whole bunch of this Macrostat stuff: so much that it would take me many hours to adequately document it and list it here on APUG or on eBay, and eBay would charge me money simply for offering it for sale. I have listed some of it on eBay, but there hasn't been much interest so far. Then I discovered a big case filled with a large collection of components: an almost complete collection of several of the standard kits, plus more. Most of this stuff is in excellent to like-new condition. Is there any market for these items? Should I make the effort to advertise it, or is this a dead subject? Should I sell it by the lot, or piece it out?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I didn't know what a Macrostat is so looked it up. Now I know what it is and that I don't need one/wouldn't use it if I had it. So I'm not a customer and there may not be many. But there are probably still some Alpa collectors. Is there a club?

It is a long shot, but if anyone has access to that collectors' market it is Peter Koeln of Westlicht Gallery. Make an inventory, send it to him, ask him whether he's interested and for advice.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for your advice, Dan. I sent my list to Peter for some guidance. The auction history at Westlicht also gave me clues about some of my parts. It looks like collectors are still paying good money for Alpa cameras and lenses, and they did sell a few Macrostat parts. The modular nature of the Macrostat system makes much of it useable with just about any camera in the size range of a 35mm or dSLR: somebody must still be into macrophotography these days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good luck with Peter. Its not that I don't shoot closeup, its that the Macrostat answers questions I don't ask.

Shooter
    35mm
    How hard would it be to find the back cover for a Alpa Reflex 9d?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Boy, I hope my toys don't end up being a headache for my family when I croak. But then, I tend to avoid the obscure brands. I think most of my junk is common enough to be recognizable by future owners. Alpa might have been the cat's pajamas, but it wasn't very common. I'm not surprised all those doo-dads aren't moving on ebay. Hard as a pill as it is to swallow, you might have to gather up the whole kit and kaboodle and let it go for a dollar and a half. The undertaker and auctioneer are our inevitable fate. Good luck.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin