Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,555,902   Online: 1065

Shooter
    Medium Format

Best teleconverter for macro use?

I want to use my 300mm for macro use with extension tubes and a teleconverter. Teleconverter must be nikon mount - dont care if its AF or MF. Looking for sturdy, and best optical quality, along with price.

Nikon TC16A any good?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you going to use it with or without the lenses inside? I toss the glass out of my teleconverters and use them for automatic extension tubes, they are perfect fot it.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Find a Vivitar Macro 2x converter, variable extension tube and 2x, they seem to go for ~$50 or so typically.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    An extension bellows and a shorter lens would be more practical. An adapter that will permit you to reverse the lens with that will get closer.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Read this: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...c16a/index.htm

When I bought my first (replaced with another when the first one was stolen) 200/4 MicroNikkor AIS I had a TC-201. Nikon recommends the TC-301 for lenses 200 mm and longer, including the 200/4 MicroNikkor AIS. I used what I had, found it helpful for situations where I needed more magnification (the lens goes to 1:2 on its own mount, to 1:1 on the TC-201) or greater working distance. The lens is a bit soft at all apertures and gives lower contrast images than the other AIS MicroNikkors. With the TC-201 it was a little worse than on its own, still usable when I needed what it could do and the others couldn't.

Re the TC-301, read this: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...ter/index6.htm

Unless you need a lot of working distance you'd be better off with a 105 MicroNikkor than using a 300 with tubes and a TC. FWIW, if you need the working distance a Questar 700 (goes to 1:4 on its own mount) will be much better than a 300 on tubes and TC. For that matter, a decent 300/9 process lens on bellows (a mount adapter will be needed) will blow away y'r 300 from f/9 down. Decent process lenses include 305/9 Apo-Nikkor, 300/10 Apo Saphir, 12"/9 Apo Artar, ...

Shooter
    35mm
    Some teleconverters are recommended for certain lenses. In other cases experimentation may be in order. I have used the 90-180/4.5 Vivitar Series 1 lens with a Konica Hexanon 2X with good results. At the 180 setting with the 2x you have 1:1 magnification. Some of the the teleconverters I have experimented with for close-up use include the Vivitar 2X Macro Focusing Teleconverter, the Panagor Auto Macro Converter, the Minolta 2X 300-S, The Canon FD 2X-A and 2X-B. I think my longest enlarging lens in the not-too-enormous size range is a 150/5.6 Rodagon. It appears to be a symmetrical lens but I find that with the rings and adapters I have on hand it's easier to use reversed. Two other telephoto lenses which are handy for close-up work are the 135/2.8 Vivitar Close Focusing, which goes to 1:2 and the 200/3 Vivitar Series 1, which focuses to four feet. I have had good luck using the Canon 200/4 FD SSC with extension.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Im also going to try using the lens with a 16mm cinelens reverse on the front for more extreme macro

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin