Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,683   Posts: 1,548,542   Online: 1003

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Enlarger transformer repair Melbourne

I recently bought a Durst L1200 colour enlarger. The TRA 450 transformer didn't work at first. It had a 5A fuse instead of a 2.5A fuse. I checked the inside and made sure it was set to 240 V and replaced the fuse with a 2.5 A one. It then worked, at least for a little while but blew the fuse after several on/off cycles. I have since gone through several more fuses in the same manner. These are ceramic fuses which I found at Jaycar.

Can somebody please suggest a repair place where they would be able to check out the transformer to work out why it keeps blowing fuses?

Thanks for your help.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Make sure you use a slow-blow fuse. A fast-blow fuse on the primary of a transformer will be destroyed by inrush current, as you've found.

Edit: you don't need ceramic (sand-filled) fuses for this application, that's total overkill in terms of blocking. They're meant for use with hugely inductive loads and high-power applications, e.g. where the fault-current might be much larger than the operational current. The idea is that the gas in a glass fuse can form a plasma but that sand will not. Edit 2: ceramic fuses are not slow-blow, therefore they *will* fail early.
    Last edited by polyglot; 02-06-2012 at 01:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As Polyglot says, use a slow blow fuse. These are usually marked with a 'T' (for time) so you need one marked 'T2.5A'.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks, guys. I'll try a slow-blow fuse in the next day or two and will report back.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Also easily recognised because they tend to contain a spring-like heatsink instead of just a tiny tiny straight wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    As Polyglot says, use a slow blow fuse. These are usually marked with a 'T' (for time) so you need one marked 'T2.5A'.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are three versions of that unit, post a pic of the inside and I can probably email you a circuit diagram for it.
    Bob

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have had a voltage stabiliser(Devere 504) repaired expertly in the Croydon area recently. Very happy with the service. If you want I can let you know the business name.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for the posts. I bought some slow-blow fuses today and will give them a go later today. They are actually ceramic like the other ones, but this time they are marked "T 2.5A", so they should be fine. I checked the other ones and they were "F" instead of "T".

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin