Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,166   Online: 729

View Poll Results: Next Get Together.

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cape Shank/Sorrento Back Beach

7 43.75%
  • Cape Woolami, Phillip Island

4 25.00%
  • Maldon/Central Vic

3 18.75%
  • Industrial night shoot

2 12.50%
  • Other - please state

0 0%
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Great shots Marc,
    Im back in Seville tonight, going to Flinders tomorrow,with the 4x5 off course
    Cheers Brian
    Life is a journey in the Forest and Mist.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Excellent shots Marc, the weather looks fitting for the rugged landscape. As it turned out I spent Sat night at the hospital helping the duty nurse pacify belligerent patients, take note Baillieu that's not the public's job, got home at 4am and gladly went to bed so getting to the Cape became impossible as I suspected.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You're a bugger Gary, reminding me of the Otways and how much fun it is. Not fair.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyno View Post
    You're a bugger Gary, reminding me of the Otways and how much fun it is. Not fair.
    Mumsy loves her little explorer bugger!

<sigh> Mikey, you are missing soooo much! When are you coming down?

Today's damp and grey soirée to Hopetoun Falls and the evergreen Aire almost came unstuck just getting here: the road form Gellibrand to Beech Forest is lethally slippery from flattened leaf litter, and poor visibility. The fog-shrouded Aire Valley Road is a bumpy and holey travesty all the way down to the Aire. Chilly indeed (gokart said it was 7 degreasies outside at 9am: I was almost tempted to stay put and munch jelly beans).

Hopetoun Falls is flowing very nicely indeed, ditto the rushing Aire. I pottered and fossicked downstream with Pentaximus, getting 6 pics on 67 then switching to Brutus for 8 more choice cuts while Country Road-esque digi-toters with tots eyeballed me suspiciously from that ugly viewing platform (they seemed to have spent a lot more time staring at me instead of enjoying the sublime beauty around them). Overall, a most productive and enjoyable, if filthy day out, with light down to EV8 in many places and exposures of 30++ seconds routine under 0.7 polarisation. Rolly Falls at Mount Buffalo is my next whistle stop.

By channels of coolness
    the echoes are calling
    and down the dim gorges,
    I see the creek falling:
    it lives in the mountain
    where moss and the sedges
    touch with their beauty
    the banks and the ledges...

Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 06-03-2012 at 02:04 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nice poem excerpt, Gary. The couplet, a tiny bit further into the poem always reminded me of driving into Sherwood Forest in the Dandenong Ranges when I was younger. (I was terribly disappointed to discover at a later age that this was NOT the home of Robin Hood!)

"...
    And, softer than slumber, and sweeter than singing,

The notes of the bell-birds are running and ringing. "

- excerpt from Bell-Birds
    - Henry Kendall

I haven't thought of that poem in years, Gary. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Spot on, Molli. And I think I can recite it from memory:

...those silver-voiced bell-birds –
    the darlings of day-time
    they sing with their voices,
    the songs of the May-time.
    When shadows wax strong
    and the thunderbolts hurtle,
    they hide with their fear
    in the leaves of the myrtle.
    When rain and the sunbeams shine
    mingled together,
    they start up like fairies
    that follow fair-weather;
    And straight-away the hues
    of their feathers unfolden
    the red and the purple
    the green and the golden.

Nice to find somebody here on APUG has a grasp on the works of Kendall. I've liked his works since the 1970s. His reflective poem, "The Light Above" and melancholy "Once were happy" has featured in three family Order of Service (funeral) booklets so far since 1997!
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hi Gary,
    you'll be pleased to know that I'm coming down to see my brothers on 1st of August. Playing table tennis on Wednesday (1st) night and visiting selected chums on 2nd and 3rd before heading to Wallan to see more friends and then home to freezing Canberra (it's supposed to be -5 3 days in a row at the end of this week). Can I make a time to come and see you on the 2nd? I won't be bring the camera with me this time though.
    Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nice to find somebody here on APUG has a grasp on the works of Kendall. I've liked his works since the 1970s.
    I have to admit, I've never been much of a fan of Australian poetry for the most part. I stumbled across Kendall when I was quite young after seeing 'The Man From Snowy River' and tracking down the poems it was based on. (I went to kindergarten with the daughter of composer, Bruce Rowland who wrote the score for the movie.... my only brush with fame ) So, from Paterson to Lawson to Kendall. Unlike you, I can't quote poetry, regardless of how much I've read or written. I only remember those few lines because it resonated with the area I lived in and the sights and sounds of it.

... and just to bring this thread back on track, Wyno you should definitely come down. It's a balmy seven degrees just now... 'twill seem like summer!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyno View Post
    Hi Gary,
    you'll be pleased to know that I'm coming down to see my brothers on 1st of August. Playing table tennis on Wednesday (1st) night and visiting selected chums on 2nd and 3rd before heading to Wallan to see more friends and then home to freezing Canberra (it's supposed to be -5 3 days in a row at the end of this week). Can I make a time to come and see you on the 2nd? I won't be bring the camera with me this time though.
    Mike

Most definitely do drop in.
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I think I'll wear my shorts and a t shirt.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin