Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,882   Online: 1014

View Poll Results: Next Get Together.

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cape Shank/Sorrento Back Beach

7 43.75%
  • Cape Woolami, Phillip Island

4 25.00%
  • Maldon/Central Vic

3 18.75%
  • Industrial night shoot

2 12.50%
  • Other - please state

0 0%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Looking a little wet and a fair bit windy, albeit quite a long range forecast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sunday is kids footy so I might have to nip down on Saturday, take all the good pics and leave you lot with the scraps

Actually, I've been there several times and it's great spot! Decent walk from the carpark so don't forget to go prepared for the weather and excessive film usage!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, I've just bravely signed up for the Postcard Exchange for the first time and, I thought, since I have my courage clenched here in my fist, I'd take the opportunity to invite myself along to this little soirée. The weather's not looking too good so far so I thought I'd also offer my hospitality if Cape Schanck is a washout. I'm half an hour up the road from the lighthouse (back towards Melbourne) and would be happy to provide shelter and a place for everyone to spread out their prints, albums, cameras, etc. for show and tell. I'm afraid the only refreshments I can provide are tea and coffee (instant, I'm sorry to say). Food doesn't really interest me so the chances of there being any on the premises are basically nil. There is, however, Main St. Mornington just a few minutes up the road which is more or less Melbourne's "Mini Me", with a café every five metres, not to mention the ubiquotous McDonalds and Hungry Jacks.
    It's probably a bit late in the day to offer, but if anyone is being put off by the travel distance and would like to make a weekend of it, I have a spare room here: queen size bed, two single mattresses; ample floor space for sleeping bags and, if it wouldn't be horrendously cruel at this time of year, there's also plenty of room in the back yard for about five or six tents providing no one wants to set up anything too palatial!
    That's more or less a standing offer for any time, not just this coming weekend. I can pick people up from either Frankston Station or the ferry terminal down in Sorrento if anyone's wanting to make use of public transport, and you can use my car while you're here. The good news is, it's uninsured so, if you crash it, it doesn't matter (The MG's in the shop, so you'd have to settle for an old '92 Nissan Pintara.)
    My darkroom falls somewhere between laughable and appalling, but at the very least it can be used to develop film or change out film holders.
    Um, I think that covers everything. If anyone wants to take me up on the offer of a room overnight or for a couple of days so that the trip down isn't such a massive undertaking, just PM me and I'll give you the details.
    If not, I'll see all of you brave and hardy souls at 10am down at Cape Schanck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although I'm not going, that's a very kind offer Molli. I hope you enjoy the day.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, I know it's quite a trek driving right around the bay from Geelong-way and bringing the car across on the ferry can get a tad pricey, so the offer's there any time
    I'm pretty spoiled living around here and I sometimes forget that - sharing it seems a good way to appreciate the scenery

By the way, I spoke too soon earlier - it's turned into a lovely day here, although still quite windy. Perhaps Sunday will turn out nicely as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Molli, echoing the sentiment by SMBooth, it's an extraordinarily accommodating gesture for you to provide a half-way stop for people living far from the Peninsula, as you point out in the above post; from Geelong, it's a ferry ride (and likely a rough one) to Sorrento, then a 30 minute drive. We plan to split the cost, but the whole bit will be aborted if the sea is rough: I really do puke on the high seas! As far as I am aware the only place I've found even marginally suitable for overnight stays for Cape Schank is so-so-yesterday Sorrento Youth Hostel. However, I'm not an all-night party animal, nor do I appreciate waking up to a kitchen that looks like a bomb has gone off. So YHA fell out of favour around the time Nelson lost an eye...

At this time I have not recovered fully from post-bronch/pneumonia tonsilitis and need to shake that off, as well as the fever, before going anywhere on the weekend. I have not heard from the Professor; he wasn't well either last time I caught up. Will track him down tonight and see what's up. So... I'm now a tentative starter until I see how progress goes over the remainder of the week. Mind you, I will absolutely not be spending another weekend holed up like a caged cat!!
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, the kitchen here is more or less pristine.... which is what comes of not using it!
    Seriously, Garyh, if you and the Professor want to avoid incurring the cost of bringing a car over on the ferry, I really am only too happy to come and pick the two of you up and give you the use of the car while you're over here. I do understand about the perils of that ferry crossing - I've been on it a time or two myself in foul weather and it's not exactly a pacific journey. If you decide your tummy's not up to it, feel free to take me up on the offer at a better time for you - I'm here pretty much 24/7, so weekday or weekend isn't a problem. There are actually two spare rooms (so you and the Professor wouldn't have to bunk in together), it's just that the second is pretty much an office of sorts, but the two armchairs in there can be pushed out of the way and one of the single mattresses can be dragged in there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Molli, I (with a cycling friend) renounced my YHA membership for all time based solely on a most unpleasant experience at Sorrento YHA in 2004. The organisation is stuck in backward, romantic crap.
    'Tis not a problem sleeping nearby the Professor: I count sheep (most effective when they are visualised roasted with gravy). I reckon he passes time with thread counts at a nanotech level and whatnot. Whatever rows the boat...
    I had some plans for a scene at Pulpit Rock based on low tide dynamics, but I don't think there will be a low tide or even an ebb tide forward of 10am.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Perhaps we should start up a DHA for visitors? That would be Darkroom Hostel Association (or perhaps, more appropriately, Darkroom Hostages Association). Almost everyone in Australia is blessed with gorgeous scenery in and around their home town. Remember high school youth exchange programmes? (Although, come to think of it, I don't have a kid to trade for a change of locale.) Anyway, 'Grumpy Old Man' (I think) suggested some time ago that people list their darkroom/spare room being available to other photographers visiting the area. In my case, my darkroom is pitiable, but I live in close proximity to a number of really lovely areas of the Mornington Peninsula so it's not a bad jumping off point and, of course, there's a free roof over one's head at the end of the day.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    That's a very generous offer, Molli. My wife and I will be fine. We have booked a B&B very close to Cape Schanck. We plan to combine the APUG meeting with some wine tasting on Saturday.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin