Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,947   Posts: 1,557,852   Online: 794
      
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 45
  1. #21
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by amsp View Post
    I agree with above sentiment. The first thing I saw when I went to a new lab a couple of weeks ago were two young girls handing in their negatives taken with a Holga, if that's what it takes for labs to stay open and for the next generation to be excited about film photography then I'm all for it.
    This has already been beaten to death here recently. It amounts to a drop in an almost-empty, leaky bucket. Lomo shooters won't make any difference and won't turn the clock back for film.

  2. #22
    amsp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    This has already been beaten to death here recently. It amounts to a drop in an almost-empty, leaky bucket. Lomo shooters won't make any difference and won't turn the clock back for film.
    Well, I looked at your other posts around here and "doom & gloom" seems to be your schtick, at least you're consistent. We'll just agree to disagree I guess.

  3. #23
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by amsp View Post
    Well, I looked at your other posts around here and "doom & gloom" seems to be your schtick, at least you're consistent. We'll just agree to disagree I guess.
    I love film. I'm just not into fabulism or magical thinking in the face of reality(i.e., doom and gloom?).

  4. #24
    amsp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    I love film. I'm just not into fabulism or magical thinking in the face of reality(i.e., doom and gloom?).
    I don't see what's magical about it? You seem to think film is going to die completely, and quickly at that, I don't. Not for a second. I'm not saying things are ever going to be like before digital, but things will stabilize and will probably even grow some after that. Much like vinyl records there will always be people who appreciate them, and usually there is some renewed interest in older technology once the new one becomes commonplace and boring. The fact that things are turbulent right now is normal when going from a high-volume market leading situation to a niche one. The market will adjust though and there is even room for new entrepreneurs to step in where maybe "older giants" failed because of lack of imagination or too much overhead. Even if companies like Kodak and Fuji were to stop making film all together I'm sure someone would step in and fill the demand at a lower scale. I think the Impossible Project and to some degree Lomo is a perfect example of this.

  5. #25
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by amsp View Post
    I don't see what's magical about it? You seem to think film is going to die completely, and quickly at that, I don't. Not for a second. I'm not saying things are ever going to be like before digital, but things will stabilize and will probably even grow some after that. Much like vinyl records there will always be people who appreciate them, and usually there is some renewed interest in older technology once the new one becomes commonplace and boring. The fact that things are turbulent right now is normal when going from a high-volume market leading situation to a niche one. The market will adjust though and there is even room for new entrepreneurs to step in where maybe "older giants" failed because of lack of imagination or too much overhead. Even if companies like Kodak and Fuji were to stop making film all together I'm sure someone would step in and fill the demand at a lower scale. I think the Impossible Project and to some degree Lomo is a perfect example of this.
    Think you just confirmed my point. Let's see where we all stand at the end of 2012.

  6. #26
    amsp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Think you just confirmed my point. Let's see where we all stand at the end of 2012.
    I really don't see how I did. So you think for example Plustek would release a medium format scanner in 2012 or Jobo releasing a new CPE if things were as dark as you portray them? Again, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

  7. #27
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by amsp View Post
    I really don't see how I did. So you think for example Plustek would release a medium format scanner in 2012 or Jobo releasing a new CPE if things were as dark as you portray them? Again, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
    Any news yet on pricing for the OpticFilm 120? The price point on the "new" Jobo was around $3200-3500 though I've not seen much beyond the early April second-hand press release. No fight about hybrid being key to any hope of slowing plummeting demand for film outside the home optical printers.

    It's all about demand and there's no point denying it.

  8. #28
    amsp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Any news yet on pricing for the OpticFilm 120? The price point on the "new" Jobo was around $3200-3500 though I've not seen much beyond the early April second-hand press release. No fight about hybrid being key to any hope of slowing plummeting demand for film outside the home optical printers.

    It's all about demand and there's no point denying it.
    The price floating around is said to be 1600$ / 1500 euro, and I agree hybrid is key which is why I find it funny that it can't be discussed on APUG. I think an even better example would be mechanical watches, pronounced dead and obsolete in the 70's & 80's with most of the old brands pretty much dead or struggling is now extremely popular again and most of the old brands have been revitalized or resurrected under new management. Sure, many people walk around with a cheap digital watch on their arm nowadays, it doesn't mean there can't be a thriving market for those who prefer something else. Funny enough the Swatch Group (those cheap ugly plastic battery watches) now own many of the higher-end mechanical brands. Maybe Sony will buy Kodak and revitalize the film industry

  9. #29
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by amsp View Post
    The price floating around is said to be 1600$ / 1500 euro, and I agree hybrid is key which is why I find it funny that it can't be discussed on APUG. I think an even better example would be mechanical watches, pronounced dead and obsolete in the 70's & 80's with most of the old brands pretty much dead or struggling is now extremely popular again and most of the old brands have been revitalized or resurrected under new management. Sure, many people walk around with a cheap digital watch on their arm nowadays, it doesn't mean there can't be a thriving market for those who prefer something else. Funny enough the Swatch Group (those cheap ugly plastic battery watches) now own many of the higher-end mechanical brands. Maybe Sony will buy Kodak and revitalize the film industry
    Problem is, mechanical watches are now priced like Leicas.

    I'm still thinking Fuji, given its film heritage, optical chops and skill at cooking sensors, will pop out a killer affordable scanner for all us broken-hearted suckers.

  10. #30
    amsp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Problem is, mechanical watches are now priced like Leicas.

    I'm still thinking Fuji, given its film heritage, optical chops and skill at cooking sensors, will pop out a killer affordable scanner for all us broken-hearted suckers.
    That's not true, there are mechanical watches from a couple of hundred dollars and up, the luxury brands cost like Leicas yes. I think one of Kodak's biggest mistakes was to not release a range of high quality affordable scanners, even if it meant selling them at a loss. They seem to have embraced that concept when it comes to printers and ink, so why not film which was their bread & butter? Another mistake was to not promote film and what makes it stand out compared to digital vigorously, while at the same time making quality digital products for the ones that still wanted it (they did make high quality medium format sensors but exited that area too for some reason). It could have created a much healthier balance between the two mediums. Instead they decided to turn their back on what they do best and diversify into making crappy products that no one wanted. Even just looking at their website they look old and tired, and then compare it to lomo's or the impossible project's website. They need some new blood, fresh ideas and a serious makeover. Anyway, the plustek scanner looks like serious business and will hopefully fill the void Nikon left when they exited the market.
    Last edited by amsp; 04-17-2012 at 01:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin