Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,587   Online: 897

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unfortunately it's a no on all counts. They're all shooting digital.
    Somewhere along the line in the series a Linhof Technika will be taken for a walk.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    I want to see them load an 11x14 film holder in a Harrison Jumbo tent!
    Now that's just cruel!

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    No no, I want to see them given an Arca Swiss and sent out into the field
    I want to see them in a darkroom with an enlarger and a box of paper. But I'm probably just being a film curmudgeon.

Seriously though, aren't printing and finishing skills part of it all? The first episode appeared to say that what came out of the camera was it, no modification of any kind, digital or otherwise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Chambers View Post
    I want to see them in a darkroom with an enlarger and a box of paper. But I'm probably just being a film curmudgeon.

Seriously though, aren't printing and finishing skills part of it all? The first episode appeared to say that what came out of the camera was it, no modification of any kind, digital or otherwise.
    For that kind of photography, I didn't have a problem with that - yes finishing is a skill, but also is getting as much right as you can in camera.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    God, that was painful...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ugh—!

My vote would have gone to Peter for his waterfall along the Myrtle Gully Track (there are about four falls along there). I saw no symmetry or technical finesse in the other two images other than what the camera itself did. I am not prepared to give any of the photographers any real credit as promising "professional photographers" after just 4 hours. Oh please! Who ever on earth came up with the suggestion that they are now "promising professional photographers"!? Give a guy a 5D, and after 4 days or so, presto! He's a professional. It's a mad world. The ABC is I think conveying a terrible skewed, overly simplified and distorted representation of what is involved in dedicated landscape photography. They weren't even properly equipped for exploring such a hazardous place as Mount Wellington (especially the Organ Pipes Track where many people have come to grief on the icy rocks).
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh lighten up its a TV show.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just caught up with the portraiture episode yesterday afternoon. What I thought was interesting, was that when they went to the prints, the host stated that the shots had no post work done whatsoever. Is it just me, or was there some very obvious colour adjustments happening there? Dick was warmed up a fair bit compared to what they'd shown earlier, and the circus girl looked a bit desaturated, and what looked like auto white balance when she was shot, looked very, very fluro-ey in print...? I guess colour correction isn't really 'post work' so much as regular practice... But do you reckon the contestants sat down and did it themselves?

Shooter
    35mm
    I am just speculating, but it's possible that the printing system they used has an "auto-levels" type of adjustment, or something like that.
    “I am an amateur and I intend to stay that way for the rest of my life.” André Kertész

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...I reckon they also got a bit of help with lighting, which is fair I guess, a bit daunting if you've never used them before (I remember my first time using a studio setup, I coldn't get the protectors off the heads!). There's a real difference in lighting from before and after the judges first visit, and in one scene someone is moving lights around in the background while they're interviewing the contestant.

On one hand, as my partner pointed out, it did reinforce that it's not just a matter of buying a fancy camera, there's a lot more to know too. But then, as Gary said, a lot of that 'background information' (lighting ratios, posing techniques, hiking safety, more 'involved' composition etc) aren't looked into, which almost does say 'fancy cameras take good photos', 'expensive pots make a nicer stew' etc...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin