Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,232   Online: 980

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

ABC TV "Master Snap"

Did anyone else watch ABC's odd competitive photography show last night (Thursday)?

I know the aspirants used digital cameras so it may be out of bounds on this forum but it's still photography.

I did feel a little sympathy for the 3 contestants; they were presented with high end (is there any other sort?) Hasselblad cameras which were tethered to Macs, a studio, a very full complement of lights and a subject each to make a portrait.

Would it not be more friendly to allow them to use the camera with which they were most at home and as we all know becomes second nature to use well?

One of the subjects was Dick Smith whose opening words were that Harold Cazneaux was his grandfather. Smith at one point attempted to assist the poor soul with his struggles to master the Hasselblad.

Maybe when they set up a future landscape or architectural episode they will give the DSLR experienced contestants that Linhof that appears in the promo. I'd enjoy that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I liked Dick comment that "film was much more reliable than that electronic stuff"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Shooter
    35mm
    haha i watched it last night and thought it was pretty good. admittedly if i had heard of it earlier i wouldve thought it a more serious program but for a bit of light hearted fun i thought it was alright. hey, my mrs watched it all the way through and normally that stuff bores her to tears.
    my only real critisism is andrew g is a little bombastic for the lower key tone and it was a little uncomfortable watching the celebs with the contestants..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fancy giving a housewife a Hasselblad H2, throw in a millionaire, seasoned actor and a stage performer and told to get some good photos and be judged no less than the Curator of the Australian Centre for Contemporary Photography!? With nerves jangling, slip-ups galore and a virtually non-existent foundation knowledgge of the camera they were using, I reckon they each and every one pulled the stunt off very commendably. The pics of Vince Colissimo were good by my standards, ditto Dick Smith. The series gets more adventurous now, often shifting into the outdoors.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Fancy giving a housewife a Hasselblad H2, throw in a millionaire, seasoned actor and a stage performer and told to get some good photos and be judged no less than the Curator of the Australian Centre for Contemporary Photography!? With nerves jangling, slip-ups galore and a virtually non-existent foundation knowledgge of the camera they were using, I reckon they each and every one pulled the stunt off very commendably. The pics of Vince Colissimo were good by my standards, ditto Dick Smith. The series gets more adventurous now, often shifting into the outdoors.
    Tell me more....it sounds like you are a bit more intimate with it then you are letting on?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A friend of my sister's is in the ABC production team (general content) in Melbourne — nothing spectacular; some members of my family have frequent contact with ABC, SBS, 7 and TEN through work with Vision Australia. The lass and Siss share some common interests in terms of hobbies, and Photo Finish was touched upon as a Twinings-and-bikkies discussion. I guess you'll just have to be glued to the box for future week's instalments; I'll miss next week as I am travelling — with cameras...
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're kidding, they've MADE such a show?! Just the other week my partner was watching 'The Voice', we got talking about how many similar shows have been around, and the old 'geeze, what will they come up with next' speculations. I mentioned how the thought of a photography based telnet show made me feel sick... Laura reassured me, saying "Don't worry, that will never happen!" She's usually got her finger on the pulse in this department, so I trusted her... I'm going to wake her up right now and give her a piece of my mind!

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Shooter
    35mm
    They already had one run before on, Picture This.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    sounds fun! Im going to have to see if I can find it on the web
    update: I watched it....it was fun to watch...it would be a bit nerve wracking to photograph a celeb especially if I was a fan of theirs
    Last edited by cepwin; 06-16-2012 at 05:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin